Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > West Coast IPA Recipe Review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
kiwihomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So...I brewed this on Sunday. I've got to say, this was potentially the smoothest brew day I've had in the short time I've been brewing all grain. I hit all my temps. The only downer was that at the end of the boil I lost about 4L (just over a gallon) to trub. So I ended up with 18L in the fermenter, which I topped up with 2L of water to get to 20L. OG was 1.060, so not too bad.

It's been the fermenter for 48hrs now. I've got a temp controlled fridge that I ferment in, which makes life super easy. The yeast took off within about 4-6hrs of pitching and it's been going like bull at a gate since. I pulled a sample tonight just to see how it's coming along. We're down to 1.030 and the hop aroma and flavour is definitely there. I'm pretty pumped to see how quick this yeast will finish out and what the dry hop will do. I'd be happy with this beer without the dry hop...but more is better with a WCIPA!

Will post back with final gravity and a pic once it's finished and carbonated. I've got a good feeling about this one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
kiwihomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumed View Post
I think looks great with the revised hop schedule....a little vienna and munich goes along way in an ipa....I use a similar grist in my award winning ipa

Interested to see what the thames valley yeast does with this...I've always used good ole US-05 and I really like the new DRY-97 West Coast Ale dry yeast
Awesome - thanks for the feedback.

The Thames Valley yeast has been really good so far. I've brewed two bitters and a brown ale with it so far and the brown ale in particular is magic. I've generally tried to avoid liquid yeast because they're so expensive out here!! I've always used S-04 or US-05, but the last couple of brews I've done with US-05 just haven't fermented right. Interestingly, a friend of mine has had the same issue with the last couple of brews he's used it on too...we don't have DRY-97 here.

Now that I've started harvesting, liquid yeast is much more affordable!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply