Weltenburger Kloster Barock Dunkel clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew300

Reaction score
Anyone have a recipe for something like this? I had it over and weekend and thought it was amazing.

Have you ever brewed a dunkel before? If not find a solid recipe and go for it. Sadly the difference between one brewery and another comes down to subtle differences in grist, mashing, and yeast that are hard to replicate at home without an interview with the brewer.

Here is one a brewed last summer: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/06/rauchdunkel-smoked-dark-lager.html it was smoked, but you could just replace the rauchmalt with pils.

i've only had a couple dunkels, but i fell in love with that beer. still haven't found a clone recipe. i'm thinkin mostly munich and definitely a decoction mash.

i've only had a couple dunkels, but i fell in love with that beer. still haven't found a clone recipe. i'm thinkin mostly munich and definitely a decoction mash.

I had a fresh keg on tap at a local german bar, and it was heaven. Unbelievable malt character.

I actually drank some of this at their abbey in Kelheim. It was a great trip, with a boat cruise down the Danube through incredible granite banks, enjoying some Weltenburger along the way), a wonderful tour through the abbey and grounds, and then a relaxing time in their biergarten. I would love to replicate this if at all possible, but it likely requires complex decoction mashing and knowledge about the Kelheim/Danube water profile.

Any thoughts?

Back