Varying Hops Schedule for Blondes/Pales/IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenfrog5

Reaction score
I now have a handful of bulk hops around, and would like some suggestions for varying my hops schedules using my on-hand stock.

My most successful beers have been Centennial Blonde and Haus Pale Ale. I also like IPAs. I'm thinking simple varieties of those basic beers, with changing hops schedules.

EDIT:
Haus Pale Ale
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Centennial Blonde
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] at 55 min
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] at 35 min
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] at 20 min
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] at 5 min

I haven't yet varied the hops of these recipes, aside from experimenting with increasing them for partial boil/late addition DME. I just thought they'd be a basis for which to experiment more.
END EDIT

The hops I have on hand are:
Cascade (plenty)
Nugget (plenty)
Willamette (plenty)
Amarillo (plenty)

Mt Hood (some)
Chinook (some)
Centennial (4oz)

I'm looking for the best combinations/schedules that use what I have efficiently (ie, use-up what I have quantity of). I can also supplement with small purchases from LHBS of 'special' hops I don't have (couldn't get in bulk).

Thanks!
Aaron

What hop varieties and schedules have you used already?

One experiment I did a couple of years ago I did a batch of pale ale that just had 60 min addition, then split it into four batches after primary and dry-hopped with four different varieties of hops, then did a blind taste testing where I also mixed in several commercial pale ales. So ended up being a flight of I think 8-10 pale ales where tasters did not know anything about the beers up-front other than they were all pale ales, and some of them were homebrews.

For blondes I like a FWH and then a few small adds at between 15min and flameout. Smooth bittering with hints of hop aromas. Mt. Hood and Cascade are a really good pair.

Back