Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Vanilla, nutmeg, bourbon stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
humulusrem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Vanilla, nutmeg, bourbon stout

I want to make a vanilla stout with bourbon and nutmeg. I found a decent recipe I want to modify and was wondering..
1) would I just use while vanilla beans chopped and soak them during secondary fermentation??
2) would I add the nutmeg to the mash or same time as the vanilla?
3)for the bourbon should I soak the vanilla beans in bourbon or just add bourbon before bottling??

What works? What doesn't? Thanks ton!!

Prost!
Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Vanilla beans should be split lengthwise once, scraped, and either steeped in a hot liquid or added to the secondary. You don't "chop" them.

Nutmeg could be added around flameout or in the secondary. Personally, I would boil a spice "tea" with the vanilla, bourbon, nutmeg and then add that strained liquid spiced tea to taste... a little at flameout and a little in the secondary. Nutmeg can be quite potent in flavor so be careful.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
turbobitch
Recipes 

It is my understanding that you split the vanilla beans lengthwise then "scrap" the inside. I just added two madagascar vanilla beans to my 5gal holiday dubble. I split, scrapped, soaked them in vodka for a couple of days to extract more oils from them, then I poured everything, vodka and beans, into the secondary. Its only been a week but the vanilla flavor is definitely there, but not overpowering.

As far as the nutmeg, I think that is more of a preference thing. I prefer 5 min, but you could do either or both.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
humulusrem
Recipes 

Thank you guys for the responses!!

Time to get some afternoon turns in at ABasin!!

Prost!!

Quick Reply