Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a feeling that the mouthfeel has more to do with water profile than mash temperature. I'm trying a Burton water profile for my clone batch with Citra, Simcoe, and Amarillo.

I have a feeling that the mouthfeel has more to do with water profile than mash temperature. I'm trying a Burton water profile for my clone batch with Citra, Simcoe, and Amarillo.

It's most likely a combination of things such as:
  • water chemistry
  • mash regimine
  • yeast strain
  • malt bill
  • pH levels
  • FG

I've been able to confirm that FG is 1.012-1.013 and final pH is 4.5

It's most likely a combination of things such as:
  • water chemistry
  • mash regimine
  • yeast strain
  • malt bill
  • pH levels
  • FG

I've been able to confirm that FG is 1.012-1.013 and final pH is 4.5

Oh no doubt, but that pillowy-aoft mouthfeel reeks of water profile to me, and the haziness I'd attribute to yeast selection. My biggest questions are how they get that gorgeous orange hue and what their hop schedule looks like. And, good Lord what did they do for JJJULIUSSS?

Anyone have an update on any of their clones you've brewed? Looking to do one this weekend and lots of great ideas here, but learning what's happened with batches so far would be great.

John

Not intended to be a clone, but I posted recipe/tasting for my Northeast-style IPA yesterday - WY1318, plenty of chloride, wheat flour in the mash, and loads of Galaxy and Simcoe (a juicy, hoppy, beer milkshake): http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2015/06/hop-juice-north-east-ipa-recipe.html

Juicy%2BAPA.JPG

Following this. I have been trying to write up a TreeHouse-esque recipe myself. I would tend to agree the signature look feel and flavor of these beers is a combination of water profile malt bill and yeast. Anyone have an opinion on mash temp?

Also I would say Julius is simcoe Amarillo and Citra... Maybe Columbus too?

Nate from the Treehouse posted this recipe

http://beerandbrewing.com/VUKlMSgAABcrKfnm/article/hoppy-thing-recipe

Tree House Brewing Company in Monson, Massachusetts, is known for its fantastic lineup of India pale ales. Cofounder and Head Brewer Nate Lanier provided this IPA recipe.

ALL-GRAIN

OG:*1.065
FG:*1.014
IBUs:*75 (varies based on process and gear)
ABV:*6.7%
COLOR:*7 SRM (“glowing orange”)

MALT/GRAIN BILL

11.75 lb (5.3 kg) 2-Row malt
6 oz (170 g) Caramel 60 malt
4 oz (113 g) Honey malt

HOPS SCHEDULE

4 ml HopShot hops extract at 60 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Amarillo at 20 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Centennial at 20 minutes
1.5 oz (43 g) Simcoe at 0 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Amarillo at 0 minutes*
1 oz (28 g) Centennial at 0 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Amarillo at dry hop (4–6 days)
1 oz (28 g) Centennial at dry hop (4–6 days)
1 oz (28 g) Simcoe at dry hop (4–6 days)

DIRECTIONS

Add gypsum (calcium sulfate) to taste depending on your local water source. Mash 50 minutes at 150°F (66°C). Vorlauf (collect first runnings) until the wort runs clear. Collect 6.5 gallons (24.6 liters) and boil for 60 minutes. Add yeast nutrient at 10 minutes. Target 1.065 specific gravity. Chill to 70°F (21°C). Pitch healthy American ale yeast. Ferment at 66°F (19°C) and turn off the temperature control as fermentation vigor slows. Once desired gravity is reached, rest for a few days and dry hop for 4–6 days. Rack to a corny keg and force carbonate at 38°F (3°C) for two weeks.

YEAST OPTIONS

Wyeast 1056 American Ale
White Labs WLP001 California Ale
Safale US-05

BREWER’S NOTES

Every brewery is different, depending on process, locality, equipment, etc. This should be a citric delight. Tweak and refine to taste! Have fun!

Recipe is built to yield a batch size of 5 gallons (19 liters) and assumes 72 percent brewhouse efficiency.

AUTHOR: NATE LANIER

Oldsock.... Did you use the wheat in the recipe just for the purpose of attempting to get that nice haze??

Not sure how much of the haze is from the .25 lbs of flour (in the mash) per 5.5 gallons. I was really looking for sticky head retention rather than haze, I'd heard that the yeast doesn't need much help with that. I'll skip the wheat next time I use 1318 to compare.

I brewed my own variation of this yesterday and I'll let you know how it turned out. Here's what I did:

brewed with RO water: For my mash water I used 3 grams CaCl2 and 5 grams Gysum (CaSO4) and for batch sparge I used half of those amounts.

Grain bill: 10# 2 row, 2# white wheat, 1# carapils, 1# crystal 40

Adjuncts: 1# table sugar with 5 minutes left in the boil
1/4 teaspoon of citric acid (powder)

Hops: Columbus 1 oz pellet for 60 min
Citra:1 oz pellets for 5 min
Amarillo:1 oz pellets for 5 min
Mosaic: 1 oz pellets for 5 min

Cooled wort to 180F and then whirlpooled these for 30 minutes:
Citra:2 oz pellets
Amarillo:1 oz pellets
Mosaic: 1 oz pellets

Yeast: gigayeast Vermont Ale. Started primary at 65F and holding there for 3 days and then will raise to 73F to finish primary fermentation. I will do the dry hop in the keg.

Dry Hop for 5 days:

I added the citric acid after the boil. It enhances the juiciness of the hops. I used a small amount, 1/4 teaspoon. Some suggest to use up to 3/4 teaspoon.

I'm also working on a Eureka! Clone if anyone has any ideas on that.

It's a 4.1% Blonde Ale loaded w hop flavor. One of the most sessionable beers I've ever had.
This is my first attempt all guess at Eureka! W/Citra

7lb 2row
1.5lb White Wheat
.5oz Citra 60
2oz Citra Whirlpool
Cal Ale yeast
2oz Citra Dry Hop

Sub'd

Just kegged my first batch with high choride and 1318, fermented at 68. Looking forward to gathering impressions after a week or so of conditioning.

It's a galaxy rye pale ale and I'm amazed at the mouth feel for a beer that finished at 1.008

I brewed my own variation of this yesterday and I'll let you know how it turned out. Here's what I did:

brewed with RO water: For my mash water I used 3 grams CaCl2 and 5 grams Gysum (CaSO4) and for batch sparge I used half of those amounts.

Grain bill: 10# 2 row, 2# white wheat, 1# carapils, 1# crystal 40

Adjuncts: 1# table sugar with 5 minutes left in the boil
1/4 teaspoon of citric acid (powder)

Hops: Columbus 1 oz pellet for 60 min
Citra:1 oz pellets for 5 min
Amarillo:1 oz pellets for 5 min
Mosaic: 1 oz pellets for 5 min

Cooled wort to 180F and then whirlpooled these for 30 minutes:

Yeast: gigayeast Vermont Ale. Started primary at 65F and holding there for 3 days and then will raise to 73F to finish primary fermentation. I will do the dry hop in the keg.

Dry Hop for 5 days:

How did this turn out?

I'm also working on a Eureka! Clone if anyone has any ideas on that.

It's a 4.1% Blonde Ale loaded w hop flavor. One of the most sessionable beers I've ever had.
This is my first attempt all guess at Eureka! W/Citra

7lb 2row
1.5lb White Wheat
.5oz Citra 60
2oz Citra Whirlpool
Cal Ale yeast
2oz Citra Dry Hop

Did you end up making this? I thought Eureka w/Citra was the base Eureka but with Citra added. Are you thinking its all Citra?

Think they use Azacca at all in Julius? I brewed with it Friday and the hops smelt really citrus with a preference towards orange. I've also had some beers with azacca added like Stone Old Guardian extra hoppy with gave it a candied orange flavor..

I'm just starting to learn about this yeast. I've never used 1318 before.

What are the things I need to focus on when using this yeast? Any water profile tips or ferm temp clues I could use?

I'm just starting to learn about this yeast. I've never used 1318 before.

What are the things I need to focus on when using this yeast? Any water profile tips or ferm temp clues I could use?

Using a bigger fermentor is a good idea, my previous 5.5 gallons of APA with 1318 was the first one that breached the airlock in my 8 gallon fermentor.

Otherwise, ferment in the mid-60s up to about 70 to finish. I really like dry hopping while there is some yeast activity. I've actually got a batch going now that had 2 oz of Nelson added to the fermentor with the yeast.

I enjoyed reading this thread. I've never had Julius, but I'm going to look for it at my local craft stores. I recall seeing the episode on treehouse masters. I was actually perplexed to see what kind of notoriety they have received in the community.

I enjoyed reading this thread. I've never head Julius, but I'm going to look for it at my local craft stores. I recall seeing the episode on treehouse masters. I was actually perplexed to see what kind of notoriety they have received in the community.

Julius is a brewery only beer, on tap as some local places from time to time. The Tree House Brewing in Monson MA is not the same one that was on the tree house building show.

Really? The pictures on their website blog show pictures of the treehouse (and the brewers in it) from the same episode of the show. Of course, this is going back almost 4 years and since then it appears they have expanded. I'm no expert on the area, but that's not important.

What's important is me trying to find one of these to taste!

In addition to the yeast used, I would take a stab at adding some flaked oats in the mash. Would help produce the haze that Julius has and contribute to mouthfeel.

I've only had Julius twice and it is one heck of a brew.

Really? The pictures on their website blog show pictures of the treehouse (and the brewers in it) from the same episode of the show. Of course, this is going back almost 4 years and since then it appears they have expanded. I'm no expert on the area, but that's not important.

What's important is me trying to find one of these to taste!

Link?

They are completely separate places. Here's a thread on BA from a few years ago about the confusion: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/treehouse-brewing-ohio-tv-show.98541/ (as far as I can tell the in Ohio isn't in business any more?)

The "real" Tree House Brewing in MA is a bit of a pain to visit even if you're in the area, limited hours, beers sell quickly, I waited in line for an hour for two growler fills. Beers are good, but I have yet to be blown away. We'll see if the can of Alter Ego in the fridge for tonight changes that (it's essentially Julius with Mosaic).

Link?

They are completely separate places. Here's a thread on BA from a few years ago about the confusion: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/treehouse-brewing-ohio-tv-show.98541/ (as far as I can tell the in Ohio isn't in business any more?)

The "real" Tree House Brewing in MA is a bit of a pain to visit even if you're in the area, limited hours, beers sell quickly, I waited in line for an hour for two growler fills. Beers are good, but I have yet to be blown away. We'll see if the can of Alter Ego in the fridge for tonight changes that (it's essentially Julius with Mosaic).

It is not that much of a pain if you just want cans. I live one town over and can be in an out in under 5 minutes if I just want cans. I do not bother with growlers anymore.

It is not that much of a pain if you just want cans. I live one town over and can be in an out in under 5 minutes if I just want cans. I do not bother with growlers anymore.

Sadly cans were long gone by the time I got there at 1 PM on a Saturday afternoon. They were also pouring Good Morning, so I'm sure that didn't help the line situation!

Sadly cans were long gone by the time I got there at 1 PM on a Saturday afternoon. They were also pouring Good Morning, so I'm sure that didn't help the line situation!

Perfect storm that weekend!

I will usually get cans when they first get released, love the silent Wednesday openings! If you want any you have my e-mail.

Perfect storm that weekend!

I will usually get cans when they first get released, love the silent Wednesday openings! If you want any you have my e-mail.

Thanks! Hopefully as they ramp up production it won't be so hard to swing by on my way through Western Mass to visit my parents.

Thanks! Hopefully as they ramp up production it won't be so hard to swing by on my way through Western Mass to visit my parents.

Should be better. Over the past months it has got better and better from where it was.

@Oldsock - I can grab some freshies for you and send them your way if you want. I live 11 miles from the brewery. PM if interested!

@kaz4121- you lucky bastard. 11 miles away, I'd be camping out like I was getting skynard tickets.

After all this buzz lately about Julius I couldn't help but search for a clone recipe and stumbled upon this thread! I felt the obligation that I should most definitely create a user on this site to provide feedback to my fellow homebrewers!

about a year and a half ago I experimented with Citra dry hopping:

American IPA (split into 4, 2.5gal fermenters)
2 Row 96%
40L 4%

.75oz CTZ 90mins
1oz CTZ 15min
1.5oz Cascade 15min
1oz CTZ flameout
1.5oz Cascade flameout

6.7%abv
80ish ibus

US-05

Dry hop for each 2.5 gal fermenter:
Citra 2oz 7days
Citra/Nelson 1oz ea. 7days
Citra/Galaxy 1oz ea. 7days
Citra/Simcoe 1oz ea. 7days

Flavor Profile (I'll remember this till the end of my days):
Dry hop for each fermenter:
Citra: Super dank resin with over ripe a mango/passion fruit
Citra/Nelson: Super dank resin with hints of onion and garlic
Citra/Galaxy: Powdery sweet mango/passion fruit juice, slight dankness :rockin:
Citra/Simcoe: Powdery sweet intense over ripe mango/passion fruit

Any news on how your clones have come along?

Living in Texas, I have not yet had the opportunity to try any of the Treehouse beers. But I must admit, the thought of an "orange juice" inspired IPA is very attractive. Gonna go back and read this entire thread eventually, but my first thoughts for beer of this flavor and aroma profile are a blend of mostly Citra with some Galaxy and Amarillo. A little Mosaic could add a bit of dankness. Another hop that I have heard described as orangey is UK First Gold. Definitely going to attempt something along these lines, although the "want to brew" list is starting to get really long. Maybe late next spring. This would be quite enjoyable on a hot summer Texas day.

Never had the beer, but it looks crazy and good. So Crazy Good Orangy Experimental IPA will be mine in the future.

Back