Tea used as brew water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fineexampl

Reaction score
So in an effort to not drink anymore today (extremely tired and want to stay awake) i am drinking a bigass pot of lapsang souchong tea. it's a black tea that has been smoked. i love the hell out of this stuff and would drink it by the gallon. It got me thinking, why can't i brew about 5-6gal of LS tea and use that for my brew water? I searched the database, but all i could come up with was "hop tea" and "hard tea" in the results.

So my theory is, wouldn't a smoked tea make a really nice rauchbier?

Can anyone give me some insight here? I'm having a hard time deciding on my next brew and every time i read something or drink something new i want to make that recipe.

Too much tannins, probably. You can make wine with it if you choose to, but I've heard a lot of negative reports of making tea-wine.

check out the book sacred herbal and healing beers....no reason it wouldn't work like many of those recipes....

Quite a few people use spiced tea infusions in various beers, quite a few use pumpkin spiced tea in their pumpkin ales, and there is even a bergamont beer thread on here using Earl Grey.

Now those folks are using the tea as flavoring, not as their brew water, so I don't know if it would work or not, but it would be interesting to try, you could do a 1 gallon or 2.5 gallon test batch and see. You might be breaking ground here.

Quite a few people use spiced tea infusions in various beers, quite a few use pumpkin spiced tea in their pumpkin ales, and there is even a bergamont beer thread on here using Earl Grey.

Now those folks are using the tea as flavoring, not as their brew water, so I don't know if it would work or not, but it would be interesting to try, you could do a 1 gallon or 2.5 gallon test batch and see. You might be breaking ground here.
well i'm well read enough to know i won't be breaking ground, but the results you listed match my own research into it.

i'm due for a visit to the LHBS anyway and the wife has offered the buy me some ingredients as part of my Xmas gift (i went above and beyond...again). Maybe i will do that and pick up the 3gal carboy while i'm at it and make a real go of it. Maybe brew it double strength tea and add some smoked malt?

keep the feedback coming people. i didnt think i'd get such a good response. :mug:

BTW...my choices for next brew are:
- Roggenbier or other rye ale
- jaggery pale ale loosely based on my own quinoa/jaggery ale and the recipe in Radical Brewing
- a ridiculously hopped really pale ale
- Leffe blonde style clone (the wife has requested that i brew! sweet!)
- perhaps a lapsang souchong bier?

I recently dry-tead? a Blonde with good results, my only worry would be boiling the tea for an extended period of time. But let us know how it goes!

So in an effort to not drink anymore today (extremely tired and want to stay awake) i am drinking a bigass pot of lapsang souchong tea.

Sir, you have great tastes in tea!
I've nothing intellegent to add to this but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

if the tannins are not a problem when you drink the tea (if you can't taste them) why would the become a problem later? (assuming you take the tea bags after you have made the tea)

t

I put a 1/2 pound of yerba mate loose leaf tea straight into the tail end of a porter boil and it was too much! Way too bitter. Next time I think Ill brew up a half gallon of tea separately and dump in it at flameout.

if the tannins are not a problem when you drink the tea (if you can't taste them) why would the become a problem later? (assuming you take the tea bags after you have made the tea)

t

I use black tea for tannins when I make wine. Black tea has a lot of tannins. OP wants to use black tea. When you boil it, tannins are released. To get around this, one could probably try to cold-brew tea or make an iced tea with it. I've made a small batch of wine with tea before and it turns out bitter and almost flavorless. I'd only really use tea as an extra layer of flavor (like spices).

I made an Earl Grey Cinnamon Braggot. It is still pretty hot with higher alcohols, but getting past the need to age, it has a very nice background taste I can attribute to the Earl Grey.

I didn't boil the tea, it was steeped, and no squeeze of the bags.

I recently dry-tead? a Blonde with good results, my only worry would be boiling the tea for an extended period of time. But let us know how it goes!
now that might work if none of the smoke flavor comes through after fermentation. i hadn't thought of it. it's a good backup plan at least.

Let me get this straight for my own knowledge, if you make a large batch of tea beforehand, via steeping it in hot water and then removing the leaves, and then boil that newly made tea, it would still release tannins?

Sir, you have great tastes in tea!
I've nothing intellegent to add to this but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
tea is good stuff so long as it's not crappy low grade tea dust (lipton).

Let me get this straight for my own knowledge, if you make a large batch of tea beforehand, via steeping it in hot water and then removing the leaves, and then boil that newly made tea, it would still release tannins?
No it shouldn't. That's part of the beauty of what i was getting at. Some tannins are fine and perfectly normal without tea, yea? If i made a triple strength tea after primary is about done and racked onto the cooled super-tea, it should be smoky as hell. i have no problem with that.

I use black tea for tannins when I make wine. Black tea has a lot of tannins. OP wants to use black tea. When you boil it, tannins are released. To get around this, one could probably try to cold-brew tea or make an iced tea with it. I've made a small batch of wine with tea before and it turns out bitter and almost flavorless. I'd only really use tea as an extra layer of flavor (like spices).
yeah well first rule of tea is never add leaves to boiling water. no rule against boiling ready to go drinkable tea.

I put a 1/2 pound of yerba mate loose leaf tea straight into the tail end of a porter boil and it was too much! Way too bitter. Next time I think Ill brew up a half gallon of tea separately and dump in it at flameout.
yerba mate is strong anyway. personally i find the stuff disgusting, but people like it by itself.

Back