"SWMBO slayer" type Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Briess Pale Ale Malt 6 lbs, 8 oz
Caramel Munich 1 lbs, 5 oz
Turbinado Sugar 1 lbs, 0 oz (15 min)
Weyermann Melanoidin 0 lbs, 10 oz
Briess Flaked Oats 0 lbs, 10 oz
Lactose 0 lbs, 8 oz
Weyermann De-Husked Carafa I ® 0 lbs, 5 oz
Weyermann Chocolate Wheat 0 lbs, 5 oz
Briess Black Barley 0 lbs, 3 oz

Nugget Pellets 1 oz @ 60 mins
Kent Goldings, UK Pellets 1 oz @ 5 mins

Vanilla Beans 2 ea @ "Dry Hop"
Organic Cacao Nibs 4 oz @ "Dry Hop"

White Labs Nottingham Ale - Platinum Strain 1 ea (77% attenuation)

Est. 5.9% ABV

How does this recipe sound? I only have a couple of concerns, do you think the sugar is a good idea, or maybe just increase the base malt? I want a beer that has a bit of a sweet taste without being actually sweet, if you understand what I'm saying. I want the sugars to ferm out pretty completely, but still leave a caramel-ey aftertaste to compliment the rest of the beer.

Secondly, the yeast... is 77% too much for this kind of beer? Has anyone else used this yeast and can vouch for it? My FG is projected to be 1.014 (with lactose, 1.012 without). My first choice was WLP005 but the attenuation was too low and I think it'd give me too much residual sugars.

I'm going away for a while (military) and I want to really say "thanks" to my wife who has always supported me in my home brewing efforts and loves stout/porter more than any other beer on the planet. :)

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/c919c9fe/

I think the spirit of the "SWMBO slayer" is that the typical SWMBO doesn't like craft beer or dark beer, and the "SWMBO slayer" is a lighter style that SWMBO will love despite a typical aversion to craft beers.

Thanks for reading the post, critiquing my use of the lingo, then not even offering any input on the thread's purpose.

Dude, it says right above your post she loves stouts/porters!

I think its a great idea, you know her tastes better than a bunch of homebrewers, so go for it. Sounds like it may finish a bit dry, but I'm no expert. I'm sure she'll love anything that isn't infected, and if it gets infected, she'll pour it out and still tell you it was great, that's what your 'person' does.

Back