Summit recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rl1373

Reaction score
So I was searching the forums that feature summit hops. I've only found one that seems to feature it with good reviews. I would like to take the hop schedule from that smash recipe and incorporate it into Ed wort's haus pale ale recipe.

Which is:

8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

THIS:
0.25 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 18.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 16.3 45 min.
0.25 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 4.8 15 min.
0.25 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 3.0 5 min.
1.00 oz. Summit Whole 18.00 0.0 0 min.
2.00 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 0.0 Dry Hop

INSTEAD OF:

1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

I have both Cascade and Citra available if needed. I have not had a chance to use the summit though and really interested in trying it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!:mug:

Here's an award winning IPA that features Summit. I've made this many times and its delicious. Local microbrewery wanting me to make it for them. It's won a 2nd place best in show at a comp. last year. Forget which one :p

BLOODY IPA
10.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.7 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.1 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.0 %
0.25 lb Pale Chocolate Malt (210.0 SRM) Grain 2.0 %
0.15 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.2 %

0.50 oz Summit [18.50%] (60 min) Hops 29.0 IBU
0.50 oz Palisade [6.90%] (60 min) Hops 10.8 IBU

0.25 oz Summit [18.50%] (20 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
0.50 oz Palisade [6.90%] (20 min) Hops 6.5 IBU

0.25 oz Summit [18.50%] (10 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
0.50 oz Palisade [6.90%] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU

1.00 oz Palisade [6.90%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

1.00 oz Summit [18.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

rest 152, decoct for mashout if possible

ferment at 64F

start 1.064
finish 1.010

Be aware, that using too much Summit as a flavor addition can tend to lead towards an onion flavor. Not that it's bad, just some people don't expect it as it's hidden under a tangerine aroma.

any suggestions for avoiding the onion/garlic flavor? how to change the hoping? I do have both summit and cascade if needed.

No evidence of onion or anything but a rich citrus in the above recipe. The trick is to balance the hop with other strong flavors. My strategy was to pair it with another smoother hop, and complex maltiness. Trust me on this, but still, I admit I'd be interested to taste what the hop could do by itself, and with a simpler malt bill. I vote go for your original recipe!

I don't have much evidence to support it but I feel that certain years crops of summit exhibit the onion flavor. I never noticed it with the 2007 hops, but did with the 2008, and haven't tried the 2009 yet since I still have some of the older

You may be right, but actually every time I brewed that recipe was with 2008 crop. I have some 2009 now and haven't tried it. Still, never got onion impression when it was paired up with palisade in the recipe. That may come through when the hop is more naked, I couldn't say from experience.

I just remembered from this past weekend I tried a "Gubna Imperial IPA" from Oskar Blues (in a can). It was amazing and soooo heavy with smooth hop flavor and mouthfeel. All citrus, no sharp tastes like onion or garlic. Here's what I found on it:

“Emphasizing that complexity of character can arise from simple elements, this ale is made with 3 malts and 1 hop. Its light amber color and slightly spicy malt character are derived from the use of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt respectively. North American 2-row barley combines with the other grains to lay the foundation for the hop onslaught to come. Summit hops are used exclusively in the boil for bitterness, flavor and aroma but it doesn’t end there. Post-fermentation dry hopping allows the 10% ABV monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma to join the 100 IBUs already present. This beer will greet you with a pungent citrus blast, provide a spicy yet round middle and finish with a brisk, clean bitterness.”

I'd say try this to discover the abilities of summit.

I just remembered from this past weekend I tried a "Gubna Imperial IPA" from Oskar Blues (in a can). It was amazing and soooo heavy with smooth hop flavor and mouthfeel. All citrus, no sharp tastes like onion or garlic.

You lucked out. I had a Gubna two days ago that was so stinky-over-the-top with hot onion and cheez, I had to dump it. Place I bought it from had it on display on a room-temp shelf, which I'm sure made all the difference.

You lucked out. I had a Gubna two days ago that was so stinky-over-the-top with hot onion and cheez, I had to dump it. Place I bought it from had it on display on a room-temp shelf, which I'm sure made all the difference.
I have drank a bunch of Gubna's and never got anything like this... I think this hop is either hit or miss. You like it or you don't. I would totally do this recipe.

I think the key with summit is to use it as a complimentary hop. Like Columbus, it's great at punching up the flavor, but on its own it can be overpowering. Also, ice only noticed the onion note when dryhopping for too long. I generally only dryhop for 5-7 days with them. Longer than that they get vegetal.

Back