Summer Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laxbrew

Reaction score
Looking to brew my first wheat beer, how does this sound...

2 gallon batch
1.5 lb. 2-Row pale ale malt
1 lb. Wheat malt
1/8 lb. Caramel malt
1/8 lb. rice hulls

1/2 oz. Cascade @60 min.
1/10 oz. lemon peel @5 min.
1/10 oz. orange peel @5 min.

thinking about dry hopping with tea.
If this works i might add in ginger to future batches.

not sure on yeast strain, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Need more citrus peel, actually zest. I make a wit that has 5 oz of orange zest in a five gallon batch.

I was planning on using dried peel vs fresh. From what I have read on here you have to use a lot more fresh than dried when it comes to "spices", ginger, citrus peel, etc.

ended up using an unknown amount of corriander & .2 g of sweet orange peel ground up and added while the wort was cooling. I also used 1/4 lb caramel and wyeast american ale II. S.G. was 1.043, three days later, when I racked to the secondary, it was down to 1.012 and it tasted GREAT! I would like a little more orange flavor but as far as a balanced wheat beer it was very good.

if you want more flavour, boil some zest with your priming sugar!
i found the zest of one lemon was about perfect with the 3g of citrusy wheat i made

Sounds interesting, do you strain out the zest after the boil or just have it go into the bottle?

Back