suggestions for Cream stout or porter that isn't bitter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steakandale

Reaction score
I've read around and used search but didn't find what I'm wanting to know.

I'd like to make a good cream stout, on the darker side, with a rich mouth feel, chocolate and caramel character, maybe honey as an ingedient and no bitterness on the end.
To try and describe my preferred level of bitterness, I generally prefer the finish of Pete's wicked ales over like Sam Adams (if that makes sense) Sam's always gives me a bitter aftertaste compared to Petes.
I also like 1554 but that is a tiny bit bitter to me.

I see a lot of recipes that have some pretty high IBUs. Should I just take one and swap out the hops for something milder, or use less, or fewers mins boiling?

I'm new, but I will do either partial or allgrain

Any answers, links or just splatting a recipe here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I see a lot of recipes that have some pretty high IBUs. Should I just take one and swap out the hops for something milder, or use less, or fewers mins boiling?

any or all of the above. there are plenty of calculators out there on the web that will tell you how many IBUs you have. just be sure that the OG or boil-gravity matches whats in the recipe when you try to hit your target IBUs.

When you adjust the bittering hops, shoot for 20-30 IBUs. The simplest way is to just reduce the quantity.

If you see a recipe for a cream stout that is bitter, it is a poor recipe. By definition they should be low in bitterness. Look around in the recipe section on this site for cream/sweet stouts. Give mine a shot. It is low in bitterness and pretty tasty. The recipe is on this site (Deception Cream Stout).

Back