Strawberry / Rhubarb Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marmike600

Reaction score
Have been working on a Strawberry/Rhubarb ale. I used quite a bit of biscuit malt and the Australian Ale yeast to accentuate the breadyness of the malt to get a pie crust type flavor. I started with a basic british pale ale recipe and then added here and there to get my desired effect. Let it bubble for a week and then added 8lbs of strawberries and 4 qts of rhubarb on saturday.

Had to transfer half of the pale ale into another 5 gallon better bottle so that I would have room for 4lbs strawberries and 2 qts rhubarb in each. My only worry is that the rhubarb was homecanned. I harvested it and needed to preserve it till I was ready to use it and didn’t know if I could freeze it or not and it tastes just a little bit stewed. That taste is not a problem in and of itself because it melds well with the strawberries but I am worried about the bitter to sweet ratio as I was betting on the bittering of the rhubarb. I have seen frozen rhubarb in the store after having canned my own so I may pick up a couple of bags of that and add them to the fermentors.

Thoughts?

I'm So Ronery
So ronery
So ronery and sadry arone

There's nobody
I can rerate to
Feel rike a bird in a cage
It's kinda sihry
But not rearry
Because it's fihring my body with IPA

And so I'm ronery
A rittle ronery
Poor rittle me

Give her a taste and add some more if needed.

I love all the biscuit malt, brilliant idea.

Did you add spices?

VonRunkel said:
Give her a taste and add some more if needed.

I love all the biscuit malt, brilliant idea.

Did you add spices?

Added just a little allspice and ginger. Just a little. I'll give it a taste. Hoping it turns out.

How did you can the rhubarb? Rhubarb freezes great, gets mushy when thawed but of course that's not a problem for beer.

How did you can the rhubarb? Rhubarb freezes great, gets mushy when thawed but of course that's not a problem for beer.

Just cut it into 1 inch chunks, simmered it for 5 minutes in water with about 3/4 of a cup of sugar and then straight into sanitized jars with appropriate headroom. Water bath for 15-20 min and wait for them to cool/seal.

Didnt know that freezing it would work. Wish I had.

Strawberry/Rhubarb Ale turned out so well that I have since made a second batch that I should be kegging this weekend. The wife loves it because its a bit fruity but the guys like it too because its still got a lot of beer qualities too it. Nothing fru fru about it.

Back