Storing crushed grain 25kgs sacks in high humidity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo007

Reaction score
Hi all,
Where I live its quiet humid and my grain room is around 70% humidity. Just wondering how this will affect my stored crushed grain? I store on wooden pallets off the floor in the 25kg sacks.

Anyone had any experience with high humidity? Should I think about buying a dehumidifier?

I live in a high humid area and store my sack of grain in those large vacuum sealed bags for clothes, its large enough for the whole sack to fit into and easy to re seal after getting what I need out of it

Drink more coffee and do stupid things faster

Did you notice any problems due to the humidity? As in the grains not performing well in the mash?

I'll probably be rotating the grain quiet often as I will be hopefully brewing once a week so I should use it up within a months. But the speciality grains will be stored longer.

Are the bags you referring to like a ziplock but bigger?

Yep they are like ziplock bags that you use a vacuum cleaner to remove the air, I've been storing my 25kg bags of bread flour over summer like this for a few years with out problems, not sure about grains as I've just started all grain in the past couple of months

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408536064.868876.jpg i store my specialty grains on top of the sack as well

I brewed last weekend and humidity has been pretty high. Sampled some of the grain and it was chewy. Pretty fresh sack and didnt taste stale but the humidity clearly got to it (it has been open about a month). Went ahead and brewed and got higher than expected efficiency (80% when I usually get 75%).

ok... Guess I'll have to play it by ear a little and see how it goes. Man I really hate high humidity. Destroys everything. All my stuff at home books etc get a bashing from it too :(

You can also use a 39 gallon Rubbermaid trash can with a tight fitting lid, and fill a hop bag, nylons, or some other mesh type bag with rock salt (the kind for melting ice in winter. Keeps the grain dry, and you can fit multiple bags of grain in there.

I brewed last weekend and humidity has been pretty high. Sampled some of the grain and it was chewy. Pretty fresh sack and didnt taste stale but the humidity clearly got to it (it has been open about a month). Went ahead and brewed and got higher than expected efficiency (80% when I usually get 75%).

Was the grain whole or crushed when you sampled it? There were some posts that said wetting the grain kernels before crushing gave them a better crush and higher efficiency.

I use 5-gallon buckets with Gamma Seal lids. I can fit one sack of unmilled grain into 2 buckets.

Survivalists use the lids to store their doomsday food, so I assume they'll keep the grain fresh for a long time.

I bought some bulk grains this spring/summer. Store them in mylar bags in home depot buckets with the gamma lids (with an O2 absorber). Thought this was a good storage method, but just had a sample from one that had a bag of local malt I picked up in July and it was chewy. Flavor seemed a bit odd too. Going to brew this weekend and see how it goes. Fingers crossed 50 lbs of local base malt isn't ruined.

In the end I've done nothing. Room humidity is around 70% to 75%. I'm brewing this weekend and will use up most of my grain. Its been stored for over two months. I'll post back with my findings. I've got over 400kg of grain so hopefully its not damaged.

Back