The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen Clone or Purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #11
TipsySaint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 14

looking for a yeast that is light on cloves and light on the banana one that is more balanced. Also thinking of pulling the wheat content up a bit.....

Primary -
Secondary - Flanders Red 11 months in!
Bottled - 3 syrups for the Berliner Weisse
Kegged - Kolsch, Berliner Weisse, English Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
buzzerj
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Glad to hear it was a success. You got a Weizen! Now was it the right weizen? The 90 minute boil reference tells me a pilsen malt is used as the base. Unfortunately there was also a reference to a 60 minute boil. I would still employ a step infusion mash and 90 minute boil using the pilsen malt instead of a two row base. What do you think? Try the 1007 yeast or split the 10 gallon batch and use 3333 yeast also with a cool fermentation of 62 degrees F if you can swing it. If you're up for a scale up to 10 gallons you can still use two carboys for two yeasts. Try to keep the wheat content 60% or less on the grain bill. If you wish to go light on the cloves, keep the fermentation temperature low. Lower on the banana, use the 1007 yeast. But try both and keep up the experimentation!

Old 08-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
redbone
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsySaint View Post
looking for a yeast that is light on cloves and light on the banana one that is more balanced. Also thinking of pulling the wheat content up a bit.....
Yes, yeast makes a difference - However....Your balance can be controlled much by your step infusion/protein rest time/temperature AND fermentation temperatures.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
buzzerj
Recipes 

Yeah Tipsy, keep us posted on the progress of successive batches. When it cools down make your 10 gallons and get that fermentation temperature low, like 62 degrees, and I think it will come out well.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
redbone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbone View Post
Yes, yeast makes a difference - However....Your balance can be controlled much by your step infusion/protein rest time/temperature AND fermentation temperatures.
Another thing that people do with Belgian style yeast strains is after a good controlled few days of primary fermentation temperatures, they bring them out and let them warm up a bit to help fully attenuate out and allow the yeast to develop more character. This is something I know has worked for me if you want more dimensions to your Belgians.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
Oceantendency
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Ended up using WLP 380.
Try WLP 300, it's more of a true Germ Hefe and it's more balanced between Clove and Bannana!

Cronical: Mosaic Tripel
Primary 5gal bucket: Canada Draft experiment
bottle:Mosaic Tripel, Honey/Vanilla Hefe, Honey Nelson Saison,Pale Blood moon Ale, Rosemary Blondie, Dunkelweisen bomb, O'Connor Red, Biere de Boucher, Honey Nelson Saison, Monk Tophula's Quad, and Aigi Dubbley
On Tap:Mosaic Tripel and Honey/Vanilla Hefe

Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
TipsySaint
Recipes 

I split the batch and did wlp 300 and 380. both sat at 62 for primary and then were moved to my basement which is 68.

Primary -

Old 08-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
buzzerj
Recipes 

I put my fermenter in a larger container, put water around it and put frozen 2 liter soda bottles in the water to get the temperature down to the low 60's which will help with the weizen's final outcome. I keep replacing the frozen 2 liter bottles as they thaw to keep the temperature low and stable. It's extra work but a better result for summer fermentations.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #19
TipsySaint
Recipes 

So overall this beer was pretty damn close. The WLP 300 being my fav of the two yeasts. However, i'm missing that tart zing that i'm hunting. it's just a touch that is in the beer i'm trying to replicate. Any ideas on the best way to accomplish that next time?

Primary -

Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #20
redbone
Recipes 

Quote:
So overall this beer was pretty damn close. The WLP 300 being my fav of the two yeasts. However, i'm missing that tart zing that i'm hunting. it's just a touch that is in the beer i'm trying to replicate. Any ideas on the best way to accomplish that next time?
Try a late mash addition of .5lbs acid malt. It will also help with the overall stability of that much wheat.

I would also suggest splitting up wheat malt into wheat malt and torrified wheat

You're welcome.

Quick Reply