Scaling a commercial brew recipe to 10 gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricand

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a commercial recipe for 3100 gallons of beer. The base malt was 4,200 lbs for example. I put it in BTP and scaled it. The projected OG came out alright at 80% efficiency. The wheat and oats came out to be very small amounts and the 7lbs of Horizon didn't yield the right IBUs. Are there any known issues when scaling this much? Should I just use a gut feel on it and adjust the amounts to hit the SRM and IBUs of the style?

I can offer up this bit of wisdom, not sure if it will help. Lagunitas Little Sumpin clone recipe has some minute amounts of bittering hops in a 5 gallon batch. They used 3 different hops. On the brewery level it makes sense as they probably pitched in large bundles or set amounts of extract, on the home brew level it does not make sense to add several grams of a bittering hop you can't discern from another hop. So when I brewed it I just used one bittering hop for all. The CYBI folks just scaled down from what the brewer told them without parsing it to us home brewers.

So the answer is gut, at least that is what I would do.

Back