Sam Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock recipe needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sepanik1986

Reaction score
I had this in a sample pack and was pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore. If anyone can help with an extract or partial mash recipe it'd be greatly appreciated!

Heres an All Grain i've been trying to work out. A 5 gallon batch using 85% mash efficiency
Pre-Boil Gravity 1.049
Predicted OG 1.069
Predicted FG 1.018
IBU's 11.3
Color 10.7SRM
I used
6.5Lbs 2-Row
3Lbs Munich Malt
1Lbs C60
6Lbs Cherries Pureed
4oz Cocoa Nibs Soaked in Vodka just enough to submerge them
1 Vanilla Bean Sliced lengthwise and scraped into the cocoa Nibs
.5oz Tettnang 4.5%AA 60minutes
.5oz Spalt 4.5%AA 15minutes
WLP833 German Bock Lager Yeast

Mash for 1hr Boil for 1 Hour
pitch appropriate Volume Starter
Secondary onto the Cherries
Add the Vodka Infused with the Cocoa and Vanilla Flavor at Kegging/Bottling

Ive made it twice and while its close it not quite there yet. Everyone else really enjoys it I think I'm just being particular. Still Trying to get it to be close Side by side.

I suppose you could sub out the 2-row for DME if trying a partial mash

Yeah it just doesn't isn't as potent as the commercial beer. Cherry flavor is very subdued and I only really get the cocoa upfront and not as much as I expect. Everyone else likes it and says its good but I don't get what I'm looking for from it. I'm thinking of trying cherry extract in the next batch to see if that gets me where I want with the cherry. And probably go with 5oz of nibs for 5 gallons and see where I fall with that. But I would drink the base beer without the flavoring a so I think I'm pretty close on that end. Hell might even be close with flavoring my palette isn't the most acute and I'm my own worst critic (I blame the musician in me) but I think it just needs more chocolate and cherry flavoring.

Edit *******
An that cherry extract would be in addition to the actual cherry purée.

Sent from somewhere to someone

I didnt try the cherry bock this year, but I did have just the chocolate bock last year, one of my favorite beers!

I am interested if you guys get a clone (minus the cherry for me). lol

I didnt try the cherry bock this year, but I did have just the chocolate bock last year, one of my favorite beers!

I am interested if you guys get a clone (minus the cherry for me). lol

I like either. The Mrs. Really likes the cherry I think they're both good. If you don't want the cherry just give the base recipe a shot and go with 5oz of nibs for the 5 gallon. Like I said the base beer is pretty close I think. It's just not as in your face chocolate or cherry. My next batch I'm going to use 5oz of nibs and try cherry flavoring in addition to the purée. If that doesn't get me the flavor I'm looking for then I think it will just be me being over critical of myself.

How prominent is the cherry in the original?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How prominent is the cherry in the original?

In the original (commercial example) it's fairly prominent.
The original recipe written here( Homebrew example) it's not as prominent as the commercial example.
Really can't describe it more as I just don't have a refined palette as necessary to give you better descriptors.

Man, I wish we had Sam Adams stuff available up here in Canada...

I used to love Sam Adams, and I don't know what happened, but now it just tastes like butt wizer to me. The one beer I won't drink no matter what. But every other lager I have tasted lately, leaves that same nasty butt finish in the mouth. I tried an India-n lager the other night, and I was pleasantly surprised, I would certainly drink it again.

Back