Roasting cocoa nibs???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AU_Bob

Reaction score
I'm brewing a recipe this weekend that calls for putting chocolate nibs in the secondary. The only nibs I could find are raw. Do I need to roast them or is it common practice to use them raw? If roasting is needed, how should I go about that? I understand it is really easy to burn them, thus ruining the beer.

Thanks

I'm surprised you could find "raw" nibs. I thought nibs were the roasted, de-husked cocoa beans.

If they are really raw, I would roast them. Doubt you'll get much "cocoa flavor" from raw nibs. I know a guy who makes chocolate. I asked him about the temps he roasted cocoa beans at, and though he was a little tight lipped about the specifics, he said this:
"Proprietary... Jk... Well kinda... Let's just say, 300F is too high and, well, I haven't found the lower limit yet, though I'm guessing it's around 215F. But I would recommend messing around with about 260F or so for now."

I'd probably roast them on a cookie sheet in the oven.

Back