Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Roasting cocoa nibs???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
AU_Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Roasting cocoa nibs???

I'm brewing a recipe this weekend that calls for putting chocolate nibs in the secondary. The only nibs I could find are raw. Do I need to roast them or is it common practice to use them raw? If roasting is needed, how should I go about that? I understand it is really easy to burn them, thus ruining the beer.

Thanks

Primary #1 - Captian Hooked on Bitters ESB
Primary #2 - IIPA
Keg #1 - Hoppy Amber Ale
Keg #2 - Milk Stout
Keg #3 - Two-Hearted Ale Clone
Up next - Sterling Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'm surprised you could find "raw" nibs. I thought nibs were the roasted, de-husked cocoa beans.

If they are really raw, I would roast them. Doubt you'll get much "cocoa flavor" from raw nibs. I know a guy who makes chocolate. I asked him about the temps he roasted cocoa beans at, and though he was a little tight lipped about the specifics, he said this:
"Proprietary... Jk... Well kinda... Let's just say, 300F is too high and, well, I haven't found the lower limit yet, though I'm guessing it's around 215F. But I would recommend messing around with about 260F or so for now."

I'd probably roast them on a cookie sheet in the oven.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply