Recommendation for Saison Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstiglich

Reaction score
Hello Fellows,
I will brew a Saison tomorrow morning, and need some recommendations.

My recipe is the following;

RO Water using 26 liters to mash and 1.4liters to sparge.
Water adjusted with salts to the following profile;

Ca 36 ppm
Mg 16 ppm
Na 29 ppm
Cl 40 ppm
SO4 150 ppm
and Residual Alkalinity of 60 ppm
I will adjust my mash to 5.5 with acid lactic.

I am using a Braumeister 20L.
20L Batch

Grains
9.92 lbs Pilsen Malt (87.2%)
0.59 lbs Caramel 40 EBC (5.23%)
0.86 lbs Turbinado (7.55%)

Hops/spice/fine
1.09 oz East Kent Golding @ 60 min
1.09 oz Saaz @ 25 min
1 Whirfloc tablet @ 15 min
0.7 oz Ginger root @10 min
1 oz Orange Peel @ 5 min

Yeast Saison Belle Ale with starter of 1 liter with stir plate.
I plan to ferment with controlled temp between 66ºF and 68ºF.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried a similar recipe some weeks ago, but used 2 oz of ginger and 3 oz of orange peel. I am using fresh sweet orange peel that I peel discarding all the white part of orange. and I ferment it without control, considering that my room temp was in a range of 66ºF~68ºF, but probably the fermenter go 10º above room temp.
Finally, I got a beer that had TO MUCH warm alcohols in palate, and I believe that it was caused by the fermentation temperature, not the high weight of ginger and orange peel I used.
The problem is that reading about Saison yeast, they recommend using the higher temp you are able to achieve the best results....So, now I am not sure if the phenolic was caused by high temp or too much ginger/orange peel.

Please let me know your recommendation for;
1. Fermentation temperature, mainly for the three firsts days when it is stronger.
2. It is ok with ginger and fresh orange peel or do you recommend to avoid any of this and replace it by coriander.

Any other recommendation would be very appreciated.

Regards,
Kenneth

Saisons want to start low and finish high. I keep it cool, about 65, on the first day and let it rise on its own. Around day 3-4, I'll wrap the carboy with a blanket to trap the heat in and let it finish the week in the low 80s. This way you'll get that spicy finish without the alcohol heat.

Saisons want to start low and finish high. I keep it cool, about 65, on the first day and let it rise on its own. Around day 3-4, I'll wrap the carboy with a blanket to trap the heat in and let it finish the week in the low 80s. This way you'll get that spicy finish without the alcohol heat.

Tks Smokey.
One question. I have a mini freeze where I can control temps..thus i wil keep it one day at 65 with the temp probe sticked to the fermenter...but after that the room is not temp controlled then currently weather cganges between 63*f in night to 69*f on day...
Would it work to just let it warm by themself on the next 3 or 4 days? And later covering with a blanket...or do i need to use a heater ferm wrap?
Regards

Just a blanket will be fine. You're just trapping the heat generated by the yeast activity. Once active fermentation slows, it'll drop to room temperature even with the blanket. I'm sure a heater would be better since you'll have control but I've never used one.

Back