Recipes suggestions for Columbus, Willamette, Vanguard hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychalg9

Reaction score
I bought a pound each the other day because they were so cheap. I've never bought in bulk so figured I would try it out as a way to get me to brew more often. I'd like to brew 3 different beers. I was thinking maybe a Pale ale, a hefe, and an IPA, initially, but Im not the expert, you guys are. Any ideas for what I can do and if anyone has specific recipes using these hops, please include them. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I should also add that I will probably be brewing these beers for a party later this summer so need to be relatively quick to finish and need to be somewhat sessionable.

Columbus works nicely in American Pale Ales and IPAs, but I personally wouldn't use it alone because it is so dank. Willamette is a U.S.-grown variety of Fuggles that tastes more like a Golding hop. It was extensively used by Anheuser Busch until recently. Good for an all-purpose hop. Vanguard is a Hallertau-clone.

The Vanguard and Columbus would work well in Denny's rye IPA.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/all-grain-denny-conns-wry-smile-rye-ipa-84515/
Columbus is used often in single hop APA/IPAs. You could mix in some Vanguard and Willamette to spice one up. Willamette mixes well most hops. I like Vanguard better than Mt. Hood in my pilsners. I think the three could make a nice American brown ale. You could get close to the one I just brewed (it's still not tested.)
http://hopville.com/recipe/1278012/american-brown-ale-recipes/imperial-monster-brown-ale

Great info! Both of those beers sound great. Let me know how the brown turns out as I have a bit of time before I need to brew anything

Back