Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe help needed - relating to hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Recipe help needed - relating to hops

For this recipe I typically use Willamette hops for bitter and aroma. I was not able to get my hands on any, naturally, and couldn't get a comparable replacement. Below are the hops that I have on hand, please advise as to which I should use. Since I have so much of the Hallertau I'm hoping to use those for bitter to save some of the Challenger.

Hallertau Tradition 6% - 8 oz
Challenger 6.5% - 2oz
Warrior 16.4% - .5oz

Here is my previous recipe for a Nut Brown:

6 lbs Light DME
1 lb Amber DME
8oz Crystal 60* (steep)
4oz Victory (steep)
1oz Chocolate (steep)
1oz Willamette @ 60
1oz Willamette @ 10

I've made this recipe twice and both times neglected to keep note of my AA with the Willamette. They're 5.5% typically, right? Do I have any hope of having something tasty with the above hops? .75oz Haller @ 60 and 1oz Challenger @ 10 maybe?

Thanks for any help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I'm not an expert on nut browns, but you might want to go as little as .5 at 60" and .5 at 10.... I don't usually notice very much hop presence in brown ales.

You might even considering .5 Chall / .5 Haller both at 60 minute, and omit the flavor/aroma hops entirely.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category11.html#style11C for reference. Both Southern- and Northern- Brown Ales are intended to have very little hop note.

Basically, too much in the hop line will overpower the subtle "bready" and "nutty" flavors that you're usually looking for in this style.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 02-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Hallertau Tradition and Challenger are both spicier than Willamette. Won't matter much on using 0.75 ounce of Hallertau for the bittering, but I'd back off the Challenger to 1/2 ounce. In fact, you could use 1/2 ounce of Hallertau @ 10 instead. You won't have the earthy notes Willamette gives, but the brew should be good.

Willamette's AA% varies more than most hops, it can run from 3-6%.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Great. Thanks for the help fellas. I think I'll go with .5 Haller @ 60 and .5 Challenger @ 10. I'll run those numbers through the calculator when I get home and see if that runs within the guidelines. My starter is ready to go.

Quick Reply