Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Raspberry Imperial Stout Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
zacjohnson252
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Raspberry Imperial Stout Help

Hey everyone,
I'm working on a raspberry imperial stout, which has been in the primary for about two days, and I'm looking for some comments...

the recipe i used for the imperial stout base was created by me using a book (Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels) and computer program (ProMash) at my LHBS as well as advice from the people at my LHBS on things like hop varieties, etc.

the recipe is:

10lbs.(80%) Briess LME-Gold
.5lbs(4%) Crystal 10L
1.5lbs(12%) Roasted Barley
.5lbs(4%) Chocolate Malt

30 min steep at 160deg, 60 min boil

1.5 oz. Galena hops, pellet (12.2 alpha) - 60 min
1.0 oz. Fuggle hops, pellet (4.8 alpha) - 5 min end of boil

american ale yeast

expected OG was 1.081, although I got distracted and forgot to take a gravity reading when I transferred to the primary (rookie mistake, I know), so the gravity reading I took after 24 hours of hard-as-can-be, blow-the-airlock-off fermentation, the gravity was down to 1.067.

I am planning on adding 3lbs. of thawed, pureed, seeded, and pasteurized frozen raspberries to the primary once the original fermentation slows down to the point i would usually rack it over to a secondary.

Comments/questions? I'd especially like any comments or advice on the raspberry addition!

primary: raspberry imperial stout
secondary: IPA, Brown Ale, Belgian Wit
Bottled: Blueberry Wiezenbier
Drinking: Smoked Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
jevchance
Recipes 

Comment: sounds tasty.

Primarys: Empty
1 Gallon Secondaries: Strawberry Wine | Strawberry Wine | Red Raspberry Wine | Blueberry Raisin Wine
5 Gallon Secondaries: Hard Cider | Hard Cider
Bottle Conditioning: Brewers Best Red Ale
Drinking: 3 Year Mead or Banana Wine, Brewers Best American Light Ale, Apfelwein (Hooch)

Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
velotech
Recipes 

Yes, it does sound tasty. I used about the same about of raspberries last year for my holiday stout. They were whole, fresh raspberries, so I added them at flameout. Since then, I've done 2 fruit beers with frozen. I added to the secondary, then racked on top and let sit for a week or two. You might get additional fermentation from the fruit sugars, so make sure it's done before bottling.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
zacjohnson252
Recipes 

what kind of beers did you use frozen fruit in? if they were stouts/dark beers, did you use the same amount of fruit as I am thinking, and how prominent was the fruit taste?

primary: raspberry imperial stout
secondary: IPA, Brown Ale, Belgian Wit
Bottled: Blueberry Wiezenbier
Drinking: Smoked Porter

Old 01-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #5
tonymark
Recipes 

Default Raspberry imperial stout

I did one of these in 1994. Drank the last bottle in 2007 on accident. For 7.5 gallons, I used 19 lbs 2-row and 2.5 lbs specialty grains. For the berries, I thawed 10.5 lbs frozen in bags, sanitized a funnel and poured directly from the bags into the secondary. If was very fruity a few months later. I bottled the entire batch and drank for years.
OG 1.093
FG 1.026 (maybe less later, but that was my last measurement)

I still have a single grain (2-row only, no others) barley wine from 1995 in a keg. Tasted it Sunday and it still good.

Quick Reply