Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Raspberries

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Crazytwoknobs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Raspberries

Sooo... I'm unhappy with my weak beer as of late.

It's moving right along in the carboy... there's a little extra space at the top.... maybe an inch below from where the wide part of the carboy starts to curve towards the top. I'm thinking of buying a pound or so of raspberries (maybe even blackberries or something weird like cloudberries), rinsing them off, blending them up with a wee bit of water, adding some DME/cane/corn sugar, boiling it up, and tossing it in there with the rest of the batch. The OG for what's in the carboy right now was 10.35, and I took the reading in the bucket at about 80F, and I haven't done any calibrating on my hydrometer yet, so I don't trust that number too much.

Comments, tips, suggestions?

Marbles baby, marbles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1# of Raspberries in a 5g batch will probably not do jack. If anything, probably a slightly tart hint of fruity flavor that you will be unable to place what it is.

1#/gallon is a fairly good mark for a fruity beer..the kind you KNOW that you're drinking a fruity beer. Drop as needed for less fruit flavor or to compensate for overly apparent fruits (Blueberries).

Old 10-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Crazytwoknobs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Excellent, thanks!

I don't want it to seem like I added flavor syrup... but I guess that's what I'm making in the process described above... lol.... crap...

I'll probably add 3 pounds then.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You will not need 1lb/gallon with raspberries. Raspberries have a very strong flavor. I wouldnt recommend more than 2.5 lbs for a 5 gallon batch. Two would likely be plenty. With one pound, you would probably get a little tartness, but probably not a whole lot of actual raspberry flavor.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
PT934
Recipes 

I did a red wheat and put 4.5lbs of raspberries in the primary. It was really tart at first, almost like wine and I was pretty unhappy. I pushed it to the back and tried one a couple months later and it was great. Raspberries seem to need to condition for a while. It think blackberries make a smoother beer.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazytwoknobs
Sooo... I'm unhappy with my weak beer as of late.

It's moving right along in the carboy... there's a little extra space at the top.... maybe an inch below from where the wide part of the carboy starts to curve towards the top. I'm thinking of buying a pound or so of raspberries (maybe even blackberries or something weird like cloudberries), rinsing them off, blending them up with a wee bit of water, adding some DME/cane/corn sugar, boiling it up, and tossing it in there with the rest of the batch. The OG for what's in the carboy right now was 10.35, and I took the reading in the bucket at about 80F, and I haven't done any calibrating on my hydrometer yet, so I don't trust that number too much.

Comments, tips, suggestions?
Don't boil fruit ... it'll turn into a globby mess because of the pectin in it. Rinse the raspberries thoroughly and then freeze them. That'll rupture the cell walls to allow the fruit flavoring to get out and also to help kill some of the bacteria.

Also, ditto on the amount of raspberries ... you won't need anywhere near 5 lbs. for a five gal batch.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
HBDrinker008
Recipes 

I was just curious what kind of sanitizing might be need when adding a fruit like this. Is just freezing it enough or would it be a good idea to rinse or soak in some cheap vodka to kill bacteria/wild yeast?

Old 10-06-2007, 07:27 AM   #8
Crazytwoknobs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBDrinker008
I was just curious what kind of sanitizing might be need when adding a fruit like this. Is just freezing it enough or would it be a good idea to rinse or soak in some cheap vodka to kill bacteria/wild yeast?
Yeah, rock on.

That was my main worry. I was only going to boil to get rid of whatever wild bacteria/yeast nonsense that would have come in with them. Freezing seems easier. I'm still gonna blend it and let it ferment forever... Probably till after christmas...

Marbles baby, marbles.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You don't have to boil it, but getting it to 160-180 for 15 minutes should take care of the baddies. I put mine in a pot with a little bit of water, started heating, and mashed the berries up a little with a mashed potato wand thing. I didn't pulverize them, I just made sure to break them up so the juices were flowing out.

Then I cooled and added to secondary.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
Crazytwoknobs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's awesome, how did it turn out?

Quick Reply