Premiant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
I got some specialty grains this past weekend. Mainly i want to try to brew another Chocolate Raspberry Stout again this winter. I was using my recipe sheet from the same recipe i made from AHS several times before and it calls for Premiant hops. When i went to my LHBS to get those hops they had never even heard of them. While i have about 4.5 lbs of various hops in my freezer i'm hoping there is some kind of substitute for Premiant that i could use in the recipe. I've tried searching but can't find anything. Any ideas?

Sounds like a high AA Saaz. (relatively speaking)

3/ Premiant

Variety with pleasant aroma and higher and balanced bitterness.
Late variety. High yield. Average alpha acids content 7,5 %.

Application

Premiant is a hop variety that was created by crossing of bitter varieties and Czech aroma varieties. For this reason it is known to broad brewery public as a dual purpose variety. Its aroma profile is not as strong as with other Czech varieties. This variety became popular and acquired its place in the beer production without a decisive hoppy aroma. The unusually low content of cohumulone in combination with other typical characteristics of this variety contributes to the neutral character of bitterness. There is no recognizable negative bitterness after drinking. It is well known that this negative effect of strong unpleasant bitterness discourages consumers from drinking of further beer.

Back