Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Old version of Budweiser (bitter)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
cowain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Old version of Budweiser (bitter)

I spent the other day discussing beer with my grandfather, who is by no means a beer connoisseur but knows what he likes. He started telling me about a more bitter version of Budweiser that he used to drink around the time of World War II.

I'd like to brew a version of it for him, but I have no idea what the recipe is. I was wondering if he might be thinking of the Budvar 12, but I'm not sure. Does anyone else have any ideas about this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 12:40 AM   #2
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Think about a 85 year old man, and his 60 year old memory.....

Do you think it is more likely that he got a hold of a Czech import during that era, or did he drink something else, some other time, someother place?

I do have a Czech friend from that town. I'll have to ask him if he knows anything about exports...

Old 01-11-2006, 02:29 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

The American lagers of that time were much more like current Pilsners. Mainstream (AKA pre-urinal) beers have gotten less bitter in just the last two decades according to the guys at OSU. The IBU's of bud, coors, etc. are about 1/2 to 1/4th of the levels in the 1980's.

American Pre-Prohibition Lager This is a 10 gallon recipe and I suspect a single infusion would work just fine. You might even consider using one of the lager-like ale yeasts.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-11-2006, 06:11 AM   #4
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowain
I spent the other day discussing beer with my grandfather, who is by no means a beer connoisseur but knows what he likes. He started telling me about a more bitter version of Budweiser that he used to drink around the time of World War II.

I'd like to brew a version of it for him, but I have no idea what the recipe is. I was wondering if he might be thinking of the Budvar 12, but I'm not sure. Does anyone else have any ideas about this?
I TOTALLY believe your grandfather!

I read a book a while back called "Travels with Barley" (my review is here) that had a chapter in it about the "big" breweries, and it concentrated a few pages on Budweiser's shady business practices over the years. IIRC, Bud dropped the IBUs in the recipe and were called out on it--but denied the whole thing. Personally, I wouldn't put it past them.

Kudos to your grandfather. If I could, I'd buy him a beer.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-11-2006, 06:33 AM   #5
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know Michelob is not the beer it was 30 years ago. It seems watery by comparison. And though never high on IBU's, probably that has been lowered a few points. I used oprefer the Michelob Dark. But seems they dropped that one entirely, maybe about 20 years back.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, he's got a pretty good memory. His beats mine most of the time. The more I thought about it and considered everyone's posts, I bet he just remembers what the old Budweiser actually tasted like. He also cited a few other type beers he remembered liking from the time period, like something Dick (my failed memory, not his - he gave the name of that beer and a few others I hadn't heard of). He said he liked the others, but he and his friends all liked Budweiser better because of the bitterness. Once you got used to it, nothing else tasted right.

Thanks a bunch David, I'm going to try to modify that recipe a little a make it for him.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Was he talking about beer he drank stateside, or over in Europe during the war years? This may make a difference. And I bet the name he mentioned and that you are trying to think of is Griesedieck Beer! Click on the "About Us" link here.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Or Young's Dirty Dick?

Old 01-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I think Michelob Ultra holds the current record for canoe beer: 2.5 IBU.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-12-2006, 12:05 AM   #10
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Memories of the past

In the 1960's it was common to purchase draft beer in bars. It would be put into cardboard containers, much like chinese food. Some also sold 2 gallon refrigerator kegs which were cardboard with a plastic internal liner and a little CO2 tap. When I returned from Viet Nam in 1967, that sort of beer sales had disappeared and become the famous 6 pack you are familiar with. During the 1970's, the quiet neighborhood bars virtually disappeared in favor of biker bars, loud rock or country music, mechanical bull bars etc. But the type of bar you could easily walk to and later stagger on home was gone or at least rare.

And I think the major brewers put out a better product back then. They seem to be out to duplicate the taste of whatever is in the number #1 slot, till they all taste alike. Also, the move to light beers and such that tend to make a person think it less fattening.

Quick Reply