Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > "Oktoberfest" style ale, mash temp & yeast advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
jwitt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Update- batch #1 ended up with really low FG. I'm going to open a bottle just for kicks in a couple days. Batch #2 showed rather poor mash efficiency, so I ended up fermenting 4.5gal. I pitched some BRY-97 just for kicks, and it's going strong. Batch #3 goes down this weekend, and ambient temps in the basement are low enough that I'm going to use a less attenuative yeast. Only the first "goofed up" batch will be ready in time for Oktoberfest, but the others ought to be consumed in time to refill those bottles with a few runs of wintery stuff that will begin in 3 weeks or so and carry through until it's time to brew some Kolsch and other spring beers...and maybe re-tool this one as an actual Marzen?!!?

Update 2- It shows some off flavors from fermenting so warm, but the first 5 gallons is almost gone already. Everyone loves it. I can't wait to try the next two batches after giving them time to mature.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #12
jwitt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Update after the 3rd batch- It's tasty!!!

Here's the latest recipe:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 36.4 %
3 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 27.3 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 18.2 %
1 lbs Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 4 9.1 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.5 %
8.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.5 %
1.00 oz Tradition [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 21.7 IBUs
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.00 %] - Aroma Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -

Now that I've got a good handle on this recipe, I'm ready to start replacing Pilsner with equal portions of Vienna & Munich. I'll start by moving to 3# Pilsner. Once that's squared away, I think I'm going to run a decoction on the stuff to see how that works. I mashed at 154º last time, and I don't know if it made much of a difference, but I'll continue doing so.

I did slightly different variations on the "one ounce each of two noble hops" theme, and they all turned out nicely. I think the aroma addition will really shine with a maltier, bolder backbone. This version could do with or without it.

During the winter, with a nice chilly basement, I'll have a chance to run a Kolsch yeast on a batch or three as well. Must have plenty of this stuff! It shall henceforth be "house beer" instead of "oktober style ale" and shall be consumed year round. Maybe just bump the OG, run a decoction, etc. and make a Märzen with some lager yeast for next Oktoberfest so we can have the real deal?

Recent brews: Amber ale w/ honey malt, Dunkelweizen, Oktoberfest, Alt, Kölsch, English Brown, Rye IPA, Amarillo IPA. 55 gallons so far in 2013.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply