Oh Hey - Citra Pale Ale SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maager

Reaction score
This is my first Smash recipe, and my first recipe in general.

Looking for feedback on process/recipe improvements! Beer turned out great, really showcases the Citra hops, might consider upping the IBU slightly as the sweetness from the 1968 yeast really is present.

"Oh Hey" - Citra Pale Ale
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.97 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Northwest Pale Ale (2.6 SRM) Grain 84.62 %
2.00 lb Toasted Malt (27.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
0.55 oz Citra [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.9 IBU
1.45 oz Citra [14.00 %] (0 min) Hops
2.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
1.20 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1200ml starter London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 4.06 gal of water at 167.8 F 153.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 2.60 gal of water at 196.2 F 168.0 F

Brew Day Notes:
Toasted 2lbs NW Pale Ale Malt on a cookie sheet @ 350F for 20 minutes. Crushed grain immediately after, then added to mash with the 11lbs of regular NW Pale Ale Malt.

Fermentation/Aging Schedule
23 days @ 66F (Primary)
7 days @ 66F (Dryhop/cold crash to Keg)
14 days @ 38F aging (Keg)

Bf8X8l.jpg

I make a Citra Wheat. I believe my IBU's are right at 30. I'm not familar with NW Pale malt. Is it different than Briess?

I think I will try this the next time a make a Citra beer. I have another Citra Wheat in the primary.

I'm making a CPA tomorrow with simcoe and Amarillo hops. I have 2 oz. of Citra, 1oz. of Simcoe, 1.oz of Amarillo. the last time i made a Citra Pale Ale (CPA),
i used 3oz. of citra (13.4%AA).
-1/2 oz. Citra at Beginning of boil (60min)
-1/2oz. at 50min
-1/2oz. at 40 min
-1/2oz. at 30 min
-1/2oz. at 20 min
-1/4oz. at 10 min
-1/4oz. at 4 min

my OG was 1.055; FG 1.015.... after fermenting for 10 days (should have let it go for another day...atleast...) i bottled and have been conditioning for almost 3 weeks. At week 1 it was extra bitter at first... really bitterness clung to the palate like a fat kid to some cake. week 2 was much beter. more mellow and slightly more citrus... Week 3 was a dream... imagine a sierra pale ale with citrus character.... simply delicious!!

I make a Citra Wheat. I believe my IBU's are right at 30. I'm not familar with NW Pale malt. Is it different than Briess?

I think I will try this the next time a make a Citra beer. I have another Citra Wheat in the primary.

Great Western makes the Northwest Pale Ale malt, it lends a bit more biscuity flavor to the beer than a traditional 2-row.

Bulk Malts | Great Western Malting

Never used Breiss except for their standard 2-row, good stuff?

I really like the way the Citra works with the malt and the Wyeast 1968, it ends up being a really citrusy beer. If you don't like citra though this beer isn't for you :)

Planning to try out this recipe soon. Bought a big bag of 2 Row and figured I'd try a smash with some toasted grains. I love Citra so this was perfect! WLP002 is easier to come by here but it should leave the same sweetness. Going to up the bittering to 3/4 ounce for the full boil and go from there.

Thanks!

Back