Oatmeal RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itari

Reaction score
This is an Oatmeal RIS ive been thinking up.

6 gallon
70% efficiency.

1.108 OG / 1.027 FG

85 IBU

10.7% ABV

55 SRM

0.79 IBU/OG

Fermentables
18.0 lb Maris Otter Pale (UK) 70%

2.0 lb Flaked Oats 7%

1.0 lb Chocolate (US) 3%

1.0 lb Roasted Barley (US) 3%

1.0 lb Special B (BE) 3%

1.0 lb Caramel/Crystal 120L (US) 3%

1.0 lb Sucrose (Table Sugar) 3%

0.5 lb Black Patent (UK) 1%

Hop

3.0 oz Magnum (US) 120 min First Wort

Yeast

Dry English Ale Yeast White Labs WLP007

Was thinking of mashing low perhaps around 148. Pitch and ferment on the low side ~65F and seondary for eternity. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?

This is for a 5 gallon batch?
Do you think adding all hops at FW will give you any bitterness? I understand FWH is wonderful and gives you some bitterness but it is more subdued. Have you thought about adding 2 oz at FW and then 1 at the beginning of your boil? You'll get the flavor still by FWH but you'll get a little more bite. Unless bite wasn't what you were looking for.

I'm new at this but about mashing low. If you use a low temp then won't you get a thinner bodied beer? If you don't get those long sugar chains and of course more body but then with your sparge temp, if you're on the low side still (which is good) won't the beta amylase break down the smaller sugar chains resulting in a thinner bodied beer in the end? So even though you mash low, you do create that body, but then won't the sparge step screw that up? Also, if you mash low then are you stuck with unfermentable sugars and then you end up missing your OG?

You can tell me to kick rocks. The recipe looks great and it looks like a great big beer. I'd be interested in trying it even though it would be a stretch in my mash tun. Maybe I'm just asking newbie questions and wasting time. :eek:

How long is eternity for secondary? I'd say a good 6 months for this beer, right?

This is a 6 gal batch. Forgot to specify. From my understanding you get a smoother bitterness from a fwh instead of the regular boil, but if it ends up being too subdued I may myself in the butt. I may do as you say and add an ounce as a boil addition.

The lower mash temp should dry it out a bit, which may be necessary for this one, although maybe the sugar is enough so I should do it at 152. But I was worried that the final gravity may be too high. For the sparge temp will be high enough to stop more conversion. This is the type of thing that I need feedback on with what works and what doesn't.

And yes I was thinking 6 month bulk conditioning till I bottle condition it.

I wouldn't expect 75% attenuation, from my experience. I made a very similar beer and got 63%, and the beer turned out great. Used WY 1056, mashed around 154F. Just food for thought.

And you probably know this, but expect poor efficiency too.

Yes I I'm expecting worse efficiency, but idk how bad. The recipe is for 70% which is higher than expect. But 63% attenuation is very low I think... That puts my fg at a predicted 1.045 which is really high. Are you sure the 154 mash didn't play a role?

Yes I I'm expecting worse efficiency, but idk how bad. The recipe is for 70% which is higher than expect. But 63% attenuation is very low I think... That puts my fg at a predicted 1.045 which is really high. Are you sure the 154 mash didn't play a role?

Sure, mashing at 154F would increase FG, but mash temp doesn't have that big an impact on attenuation if I remember those graphs correctly. Who did that analysis, braukaiser?

I'm confused... Isn't attenuation the relationship between og and fg? If then mashing higher makes your fg higher then you would get an apparent lower attenuation since you have more unfermentables. So if I mash lower, and increase the fermentability, and I manage to have the yeast do it's job, then it should go to the yeasts limit

The recipe looks great. I say go for it. As long as you mash at a reasonable temp and oxygenate well, the yeast shouldn't have a problem attenuating it to where it needs to go.

I'm confused... Isn't attenuation the relationship between og and fg? If then mashing higher makes your fg higher then you would get an apparent lower attenuation since you have more unfermentables. So if I mash lower, and increase the fermentability, and I manage to have the yeast do it's job, then it should go to the yeasts limit

Sure, that's exactly what I'm saying. My point was that mashing low or high has only a modest impact on attenuation, like a few percent. But a super-high-grav oatmeal stout won't attenuate the way a 1.050 beer would. So if you normally get 75% attenuation from a particular yeast, you may only get 63-68% in this style. But no worries, it'll be fine.

My point was that mashing low or high has only a modest impact on attenuation, like a few percent. But a super-high-grav oatmeal stout won't attenuate the way a 1.050 beer would. So if you normally get 75% attenuation from a particular yeast, you may only get 63-68% in this style. But no worries, it'll be fine.

I think you'll find grainbill and mash schedule have a far greater effect upon AA than yeast selection. For any big beer, so long as the yeast is a strain capable of dealing with high gravity and high alcohol environments (and there are many), they'll attenuate more or less the same. It's the grainbill, mash, and wort preparation that have the bulk of the influence on how fermentation goes.

I'd switch out the magnum for something lower alpha like a goldings or fuggles and I'd cut back on the roast barley but thats just my personal preference. I like the character you get from a 9oz of 5% AA aroma hops vs 3oz of 15% AA bittering hops and I'm not a big fan of roast barley at high levels especially when comboed with chocolate and black patent. Depending on the maltster, you could have a lot of roasted flavours there.

So I had the BORIS by hoppin frog last night and i didn't like it as much as I hoped, perhaps it was a bad bottle, and it's making reevaluate a bit this beer.

The hop bitterness I'm going for should be relatively clean. What about matching ibu s with fuggles? And I may halve the roasted I'm not sure yet.

Latest posts

Back