Oatmeal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinnesnowtaBrew

Reaction score
Anyone know of any good recipes using oatmeal? Can you use oatmeal for a partial mash? I'm not fully AG yet.

Oatmeal doesn't have any diastatic power. It lacks the enzymes to transfer its own starch into sugar. That's easily fixable.

I recently did an extract stout with additional oatmeal. I used amylase powder and Beano on some oatmeal and let it sit a while, then I boiled to kill the enzymes and free up some of the liquid. The hard part was straining it! The iodine smear was positive, and the hydrometer showed something like a 15 point gain in the OG from three pounds of oatmeal, which was my goal.

The more traditional way would be to do a regular partial mash. You put the oatmeal in with some regular malt, and the malt converts the oatmeal for you.

You can also roast oatmeal in the oven before you use it to get different variations.

Radegast said:
Oatmeal doesn't have any diastatic power. It lacks the enzymes to transfer its own starch into sugar. That's easily fixable.

I recently did an extract stout with additional oatmeal. I used amylase powder and Beano on some oatmeal and let it sit a while, then I boiled to kill the enzymes and free up some of the liquid. The hard part was straining it! The iodine smear was positive, and the hydrometer showed something like a 15 point gain in the OG from three pounds of oatmeal, which was my goal.

The more traditional way would be to do a regular partial mash. You put the oatmeal in with some regular malt, and the malt converts the oatmeal for you.

You can also roast oatmeal in the oven before you use it to get different variations.

This is the exact response I was looking for, thanks! That's awesome you gained 15 points on your OG from 3 lbs of oatmeal. I've been really trying to play around with my OG's and how much impact I can get prior to adding an extract. I believe I will be a much better AG brewer by truly understanding my ingredients and how they impact everything from gravities, to flavor to body.

I'm glad it's helpful. As far as the recipe, I was doing a Cooper's Stout LME kit. The LHBS sold me, along with the can, a 3 lb bag of Briess amber DME, 2 lbs of dextrose, 8 oz of maltodextrin, and 8 oz of lactose. Later on, I added one pound of cane sugar because the FG was high (1.022) and wanted to dry it out for balance. Turns out the sugar goosed the yeast into higher attenuation and got me a respectable 1.014. In this bill, the oatmeal addition is obvious but not overwhelming, and I like the way it blends with the flavor of the coffee I added.

Back