Nottingham Off Flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't want to boil grain additions, steep them at 154 before the boil starts then add your canned malt... if you switch to all grain a batch of beer is even cheaper! But more work!

How true. That's what I was told at my local brew store and in this forum. Bring it up to about 165-170 and when you drop the grains in it should go down to about 155, which it did. However, because it releases sugars right away, it ramps back up to 180 or over in a matter of a couple of minutes. That kind of surprised me, but not. Lol. It made sense. I immediately took it off the element, to let it go back down to about 150-155. It's a little tricky, first time out, but I did o.k. I think. I got very experimental with my first partial mash of grains. I got 3 different kinds of grains (for free from the brew shop) and they even milled them for me and I added some cherries to my 2 gallon small fermenter. The rest of this 6 gallon kit (4 gallons worth) is in my 5 gallon bucket fermenter. It's fermenting well so far. I sanitized the cherries before cutting them in putting them in the wort, with some water and vinegar, to make sure no foreign nasties made their way into the sanitized environment. Wish me luck! As this is my most daring experiment yet. Wish me luck. Lol. This is why I like brewing. So many options.

Take it to 164f or so(maybe 170, you have to experiment on this part) then take it off the heat and steep your grains. After the specified steeping time(20 minutes is common with extract kits)put it back on the burner and bring to a boil then follow your recipe. Basically a mini mash. When I use extract(mid winter when it is -20 brewing outside loses its appeal...) this is how I do it. Grains go in a mesh bag so they are easy to remove after steeping.

Most of the time steeping grains do not add much sugar and are mainly used to add flavor and body.

Take it to 164f or so(maybe 170, you have to experiment on this part) then take it off the heat and steep your grains. After the specified steeping time(20 minutes is common with extract kits)put it back on the burner and bring to a boil then follow your recipe. Basically a mini mash. When I use extract(mid winter when it is -20 brewing outside loses its appeal...) this is how I do it. Grains go in a mesh bag so they are easy to remove after steeping.

Most of the time steeping grains do not add much sugar and are mainly used to add flavor and body.

Well, thank you for the advice. So I can bring it up a bit higher huh? Good to know, cause I have always been told 150-155. I imagine it could extract more from the grain, correct? Yeah, the local brew place have me a piece of cheese cloth for the grains they gave me. They really are great with me. Those little freebies have bought my loyalty. Lol.

Back