Northern Brewer + Hallertau.... good balance, good flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I'm sipping a "breakfast beer" this AM from one of my rare small brews. This was a 1.5 gallon brew I did because my 3 gallon fermenter was tied up with a lager

The grain bill was 100% munich 20 (3.5 pounds). I used .25 ounce of Northern Brewer at 60 min, half an ounce of domestic Hallertau at 5 min, and half an ounce of Northern Brewer at 1 min.

Note the large quantities of hops as relates to the batch size. That adds up to over 4 ounces of hops in a 5 gallon brew

I'm learning that qantity of hops makes a huge difference........Buying in bulk makes all the difference. At half the price per ounce, I can afford to be extravagant........... This year my brews will probably trend toward large hop bills, and late additions.

H.W.

Once of the beauties of homebrewing, you can throw economy and practicality out the window and use a lot of good ingredients.

Back