New Recipe Check: am I way off base here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlmostWitty

Reaction score
First ever recipe check, mostly want to know if I'm just getting too complicated. I want to get a jump on a Christmas beer so that it's had plenty of time to mellow before opening along with presents:

Batch Size - 5gal
Full Boil
BIAB Partial Mash

6.6lb LME
1lb Rye Malt
1/2lb Flaked Rye
1/2lb Biscuit Malt
1lb Beet Sugar
----

1oz Columbua @60
1oz Fuggle @10
----

1L Starter made with washed Wyeast 1728
----

1.5oz Oak Chips
8oz-10oz Bourbon (MM, Beam Black? Depends on what I'm in the mood for)
1 vanilla bean
1/4tsp fresh grated nutmeg
=======

I'm pretty sure my process will be solid: mash specialty, add 1 can of LME, Boil, add rest of LME, cool, primary, when fermentation lags, dissolve sugar, boil, when cooling, add nutmeg, add to primary.

Questions:

1) I know to add the bourbon/oak/vanilla to secondary and rack onto it, but how long should they stay there?

2) If I decide to go by taste, do I leave the oak and vanilla until the flavors are just farther than I want them and expect them to mellow over 3 months of bottle conditioning?

3) I'm modeling this loosely after a Kentucky Bourbon Ale that's been mentioned here before, which I've had before, but thought it felt a little bit syrupy sweet and not as clean as I'd like from it, so I'm trying to dry it out with the sugar, and cut it with a little nutmeg and rye. I've never worked with rye before in a brew, it is possible that the slight spice from it will help cut through the vanilla sweetness?

I guess I'm just curious if this is viable from an idea standpoint before I get too far invested in it (planning on brewing whatever I decide on for Christmas in about a month).

Latest posts

Back