New Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA_Mouse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get the new German hops yet and, if so, how did you like or dislike them? I am very interested in the Mandarina Bavaria and the Huell Melon.

Also picked up some of the Delta hops and was wondering if anyone has used these. I'm really interested in the differences between the citrus notes of Cascade and the citrus notes of Delta if anyone has used them before.

Thanks as always!

I don't think they're available to homebrewers yet and only limitedly available to pros. Mitch Steele mentioned them in his lecture at NHC and I think he said he only got what looked like a 4oz pack of ea this year. I don't think we'll be able to get any until this years harvest. Sound very intriguing.

Triskel isn't as new (or German), but I had the Dupont Saison Cuvee dry hopped with and it's a great hop.

Thanks Gabe! Yeah I know that it is going to be hard for most of us to get the newer German ones for a while, but it never hurts to ask if someone has gotten to use them yet.

I just picked up Delta to try as a replacement for Cascade in my Sweet Orange Irish Blonde. I love the different citrus notes from the 'C' hops, but want to continue to experiment with other combinations.

Thanks Gabe! Yeah I know that it is going to be hard for most of us to get the newer German ones for a while, but it never hurts to ask if someone has gotten to use them yet.

I just picked up Delta to try as a replacement for Cascade in my Sweet Orange Irish Blonde. I love the different citrus notes from the 'C' hops, but want to continue to experiment with other combinations.

You're welcome! Have you tried Motueka? Full of non-grapefruit citrus (so sick of grapefruit personally). All the desriptions say lemon/lime, personally I get orange.

You're welcome! Have you tried Motueka? Full of non-grapefruit citrus (so sick of grapefruit personally). All the desriptions say lemon/lime, personally I get orange.

Not yet... I bought 2lbs of CTZ and a lb of Cascade because I like the grapefruity taste of them. I used the Cascade on my 3rd place winning Sweet Orange Irish Blonde, but want to bring more of the orange highlights and tastes that the Cascade didn't bring (there isn't any grapefruit because the sweet orange peel imparts enough flavor that it over rides the hops). The hops just add to the citrus crispness.

I will have to find something that has been done with the Motueka and see how they taste. I've been told the Delta I picked up are really nice, a cross between Fuggles and Willamette. Which should be citrusy and earthy.

My hop supplier has them on his mailout but he won't have them till about christmas

That would be this year's crop. Hopefully we can get them here in the States then!

Delta is a wonderful aroma hop. We did a single hop with it and it had nice bitterjng properties that are not too harsh. The aroma was tilted towards the floral end with a bit of citrus. The flavor was similar to the aroma with a bit of English earthiness to it. It is a cross of Fuggle and a Cascade did defendant. They are actually developing a new version of this hop with better growing properties. We have them, they are EXP 1410, its a bit more towards the citrus side of things but very nice.
We will have all the new German varieties towards the end of the year. In the mean time try Merkur, Saphir and Opal, all very nice German hops.

Thanks Steelers!

I just kegged my Irish Blonde last weekend that I used the Delta hops in... I agree, slightly earthy like Fuggles and a nice change from the 'C' hops. Mine was a single hop as well and it was slightly lower on the bittering end that the Cascades I used the last time. I was looking to highlight the Sweet Orange Peel and have been told that Moeteka (sp?) and Merkur (as you mentioned) are nice changes from the grapefruit of the 'C' hops.

Nothing is better than experimenting with newer versions of my beer!

:ban:

I used Mandarina Bavaria this summer and I can't wait for the new harvest to become available...

Just used Mandarina Bavaria in an IPA with Simcoe & Magnum.

Used it at end of boil and dry hop, it is a lovely aroma and taste, but not as strong as I was expecting.

Ianflean said:
Just used Mandarina Bavaria in an IPA with Simcoe & Magnum. Used it at end of boil and dry hop, it is a lovely aroma and taste, but not as strong as I was expecting.
I was going to ask where you got it, but checked to see your location first. I'm hoping to find Mandarina Bavaria and Hallertau Blanc in the US.

Back