Need some black IPA help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iijakii

Reaction score
I'm having trouble settling on a grainbill. I've never used de-bittered / carafa specials so I don't really know what to expect from them. Some say they still give a decent roastiness, just way less astringent; while some people say they don't at all.

I guess I'm one of those heathens that likes their Black IPAs almost like a really hoppy porter. I don't really care for the ones that just taste like any ol' IPA with a higher crystal in it.

Going to do a ridiculous centennial hopbill, like Ruination almost, and S05. Was thinking maybe:
2 row
4% C60
5% debittered
5% chocolate

But like I said, having never tasted debittered before I'm kind of at a loss on what to plan for. That much chocolate paired with debittered might be way too much.

Going to brew one this weekend. Still haven't decided, lol.

Think I'll do about what I posted in the OP but tone down the chocolate to 2%. Then I'll probably go for a hail marry with an oz of roasted barley to give me just a touch of "what's that coffee?"

Hope it works. Heh. Also, using 12oz of Centennial and 4 oz of Magnum for this 10gal batch. Ballerstatus.

I'm brewing up an extract version this weekend also. Using some dehusked carafa 3 for steeping grains. Seems like some very nice chocolate notes in the aroma. So. I think your thought to back off on the chocolate malt is a good idea. Hope it turns out well! Let us know how it comes out!

Back