Need Help Creating A Recipe for Kirin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ki-ri-n

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been HB'ing for some time now but need help creating a recipe that is similar to Kirin. I have ties to the brewery and that's the reason I want to try & recreate something on a HB scale-all grain.

Is there a way to replicate their "first press" process or simulate it?
It looks like Ichiban is now 100% malt, so I assume no rice at all? Is that because AB makes it for them in the US vs importing it?

I never made my own recipe so I really don't know where to start. Any help you be great!

Im going to try this:

7.5# 6 row
2.5# flaked rice
.5# crystal 10
.5 oz saaz at 50 min
.5 oz hallertau traditional at 50 min
.5 oz saaz at 5 min
.5 oz hallertau traditional at 5 min
Single mash @ 148 for 1 hour
60 min boil
2007 yeast, 2 weeks, 48*
Lager at 38*, 4 weeks
I get about 80% eff

How does that sound?

So, how did this one end up? I'm wanting to brew something very Kirinesque to serve with my home made sushi. Plus it hits the spot on a hot summer day!

Is there a way to replicate their "first press" process or simulate it?

AFAIK, this just means "no sparge," or add the entire liquor volume before lautering. The tun needs to be larger than the wort volume, obviously.

1st press=no sparge, that's what I did.
It was good but not Kirin. It needed more malt. Kirin says its 100% malt, so I'm going to lessen the rice or get rid of it completely on the next go around
I'm open to other ideas too......

Back