Mystery Hop IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
Yea, thats right I decided to do an IPA with the 10 oz of mystery hops I got from the beer festival. My recipe is for 10 gallons is as follows.

Mash 6lbs two row 1hour.
1lb gambrenus honey malt
1lb belgian bisquit
1lb caramunich II
.5lb rye

at 10 mintues to end of boil add 8 lbs dry light malt extract.

Hop schedule.
3. oz nugget at 60
1oz mt hood at 20
3oz cascade at flameout

I added a big handful of the mystery hops every 5 minutes throughout the boil, I don't know what kind they were, so we shall see how this comes out. Thee beer would have been pretty hoppy without 10oz of mystery hops, but now who knows.

This has to be considered hop abuse in some form as there is more than a pound of hops going into this thing and I think we are in the middle of some sort of shortage.

I hope it's a mixture of Chinook and Pacific Gem so the hop aroma corrodes your nasal passages :p

My Ruination IPA only has 5oz of hops, and if it comes out anything like the real thing that's plenty of hops. I had a beer once called 'Hop Rocket' that I couldn't finish because it was completely overwhelming.

And while I don't doubt there's a hop shortage, every beer making group I've been to talks about it as the #1 issue, it'll be better next year. Capitalism will win every time. Supply and demand and all that. In a few years there'll be an oversupply after farmers plant too much to take advantage of the high prices, which will then drop.

Back