my first sour recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inda_bebe

Reaction score
Im gonna be doing a 2 gallon batch and separate them in a 1 gallon jug. im going to mash a 80% 2 row 20% flaked wheat and kent hops around 10 IBU, at OG of 1.055. gonna use the dregs off of Oude Tart and Sour in the Rye.

Maybe add mango and peach in each secondary.

how long should i let it ferment before racking to secondary? also, how long should i keep it in the secondary before bottling.

I wanted to do a flemish-red recipe but i couldnt find one that was simple.

anyone have any input about the recipe or if i can make it better to start with? ive been looking at blogs and forums, but anyone can help or critique, thanks guys.

Looks good. The group lambic I was in on was ~ 30% wheat, so I think you're on track. You might consider adding 5% to 10% carapils for some dextrins to give the bugs something to eat over the long term.
Aging wise, I wouldn't worry much about primary v. secondary. Total aging is going to need to be at least 6 months and probably more like 1 year. If you do want to rack to secondary, I'd wait no longer than a month. But just keeping it in primary the whole time should be fine.

thanks for the reply, ill add some dextrins. and you think i should chop up the fruit, freeze it, then starsan and dump into the primary?

If your goin for a sour fruit ale, i wouldn't worry too much about the star san step. I always just chop it, freeze, thaw, then add. A few more bugs from the fruit can't really hurt it if your already infecting it anyways. Just my thoughts

If your goin for a sour fruit ale, i wouldn't worry too much about the star san step. I always just chop it, freeze, thaw, then add. A few more bugs from the fruit can't really hurt it if your already infecting it anyways. Just my thoughts

should i just add it directly into the primary? and how many pounds would you suggest i add to a 1 gal. jug?

it really depends on how much fruit flavor you want. Commercial fruit lambics have 2+ lbs/gal. Most of my other fruit beers i do have only 1 lbs/gal or less. I've never brewed with mango so I really don't know. I almost always add it to the secondary, though I'm sure it would be fine in the primary

Update: I brewed a one gal. Batch about a month ago using pale, flaked wheat and cara pils. SG at 1.050 First time using dregs so I made a 1 liter starter from Oude geuze and dregs directly from sanctification. Started to see fermentation 4 days later and still active for 3 weeks. Just Saturday I decided to rack it over 1.5 defrosted mangos into a secondary. The gravity is now at 1.010 and this thing is tasting delicious. I might add some oak chips soaked in some bugs later. But I'm happy how it taste now so I might leave it as is.

Anyone know when I should bottle this thing and how I should carbonate? Some say to repitch with some champagne yeast and add corn sugar like any other clean beer.

The taste reminds me of fou foune'. Cant wait to drink this. I also brewed up another 1 gal. Batch and racked it on top of the yeast cake. Maybe this one I'll add apricots to copy the cantillon.

Back