Mod Questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
I'm not totally comfortable with making my own recipes yet, as I don't think I know enough about the ingredients to do so. My goal for my next beer is to make something light and Belgian. Since I have a gift certificate to Midwest, I'm buying there, but none of their light Belgians really interest me. I was thinking of purchasing their Amarillo APA kit and mod-ing it. It contains:

6 lb Gold LME
1 lb light DME
8oz carapils
8oz 60L
1/2oz Columbus @ 60
1oz Amarillo @ 20
1oz Amarillo @ flameout
US-05

I'm thinking of adding:
1 lb Honey @ flame (to dry out and up ABV) and 1 oz Columbus. My hop schedule would look like this -

1/2 C-bus @ 60
.66 Amarillo @ 20
.33 C-bus @ 20
.66 Amarillo @ flame
.33 C-bus @ flame
.66 Amarillo dryhop
.33 C-bus dryhop

I want a hop that will play with the citrus flavor of the amarillo, but also add it's own mark. If given the choice, I'd go Simcoe, but Midwest is out :( Does this look like a decent schedule? Should I go with something else? I think Raging ***** is mostly C-bus and Amarillo, and I dig that.

Part II - Ardennes or French Saison Wyeast? I'm leaning towards 3711 but think that I might save the cake for a dark strong if I went Ardennes. Also, would there be any difference in the time that the brew would be drinkable? I'd like it to be ready for a party in mid August.

Any thoughts are much appreciated! :mug:

I was going to use that on something soon, it sounds pretty good.

Anybody have thoughts on yeast? I actually looked at the calendar today and saw that having beer ready to drink that isn't even ordered yet will be pushing it, especially if I use a low floc yeast like 3711 I would assume. Does anyone know if US-05 would get me to drinkable beer faster that Ardennes? It wouldn't be Belgian, but it would probably still be solid, and beer is better than no beer! :D

Awesome. Good to know that 05 will have it out in time. Does anyone know if Ardennes could be ready in time? I know, contrary to other Belgians, it is a high floc yeast. So less clearing time I assume. Does it usually ferment fast enough to get this carbed in time?

Back