Measuring Non-LHBS Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombatkoala

Reaction score
I was going to make Papazian's Kumdis Island Spruce Beer

* 3 1/2 lbs. Edme S.F.X. dark malt extract syrup
* 2 lbs. plain dried dark malt extract
* 4 oz. new green growth of spruce trees
* 2 oz. Hallertauer hops (boiling): 10 HBU
* 1-2 pkgs. ale yeast
* 3/4 c. corn sugar or 1 1/4 c. dried malt extract (for bottling)

O.G.: 1.040-1.044 (10-11)
F.G.: 1.010-1.014 (2.5-3.5)

and I was wondering what the best way would be to measure the 4oz new green growth of spruce trees. I have spruce trees in my back yard, but I have no idea how much to clip.

Isn't it kinda late for spruce tips? I thought you had to harvest them in the spring since you only want the new growth.

Pack a ziplock bag full of trimmings.

Use a skewer to pierce it at the top, thereby to dangle.

Place another empty ziplock bag on the other end of the skewer.

Place the middle of the skewer on the divider in your sink. Use your finger to hold it level. Slowly trickle water from your faucet into the empty ziploc bag until your finger is no longer needed to hold it level.

Then pour the water from the ziploc into a measuring cup. The number of fluid ounces of water is roughly equal ounces by weight.

Oh wait... that's a scale.. nevermind.

Hold the 2 oz. of Hallertauer hops in one hand
add spruce tips to other hand till they seem equal
repeat for two more ounces
I am real scientific :)

Pack a ziplock bag full of trimmings.

Use a skewer to pierce it at the top, thereby to dangle.

Place another empty ziplock bag on the other end of the skewer.

Place the middle of the skewer on the divider in your sink. Use your finger to hold it level. Slowly trickle water from your faucet into the empty ziploc bag until your finger is no longer needed to hold it level.

Then pour the water from the ziploc into a measuring cup. The number of fluid ounces of water is roughly equal ounces by weight.

Oh wait... that's a scale.. nevermind.

*points* BLACK MAGIC!!!!

I've got it!!!!

Fill your plastic hydrometer tube with 1 oz hops.

Put the tube in a pitcher of water.

Mark the water level on the tube, or on the water container.

Then fill up the tube with spruce until you hit that mark. 1 oz!

If he could measure out 1 oz of hops, he could measure teh sprce tips :D Plus I've found those little foil packages to not always be super accurate.

Just throw in a big handful of spruce tips...OR, since you brew and this issue WILL come up again, go buy an Ounce/Gram scale. Don't worry, swmbo won't mind this one.

Back