Looking for Winter kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salbast

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm interested in brewing a winter ale. Anybody have any suggestions on a good kit (extract with specialty grains) or a good recipe? I checked midwest and northern, but I would like some suggestions from the experts on this site. Thanks!

Ziggy,
I saw that kit, but it says it takes 4-6 months for it to be ready. I'd like it for this winter.

Cyber,
I have BeerSmith, but I only have 2 brews under my belt plus a pumpkin ale fermenting right now. Not sure if I'm confident creating my own.
Thanks for the reply guys

I made the MW Winter Ale kit last year. It was delicious. Unfortunately, heavy beer = long conditioning. I made it in July of last year, and by January, it was more than ready.

Beuller?
Anyone?

"dead grandmother, huh?" LOL

That's another long process. If you start now you can probably drink it by Super-bowl. I'd go for it. It sounds good.

Here is something I've always wanted to do: Buy a crap-load of the same ingredients and brew about six identical easy beers. The only difference being hops. That way I would be able to compare different hops and learn more about them. That's a fun winter project.

How do you figure that it would be ready by super bowl. The directions say 2 months. If I make it this weekend it should be ready by Thanksgiving. Is there something I'm missing?
I would do that experiment, but I'm limited to space and fermenters. I have a pumpkin ale in one fermenter. I want to make cider sometime soon and I would like a winter ale. I may nix the winter ale and just do a Christmas ale. Thanks for your help.

oh my bad.... I was reading some of the customer reviews and some made it sound like it took several months. I jumped to a conclusion, sorry.
Some folks just have a fat pipeline or are just super-patient and normally let their beers sit for months. I did not read the kit instructions. oops

Yea, in that case your good for the holidays!

It's all good. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. I can't wait to get a nice pipeline going.

Northern Brewer's Winter Warmer is a very good all around winter brew.
I love it. I have some squirred away from last year and just keeps getting better with age.
Warming, but with out hot alcohol flavors, low hops, toffeee, and dark fruit flavor.

I may go with this one, but I want to add some flavoring as well to make it a Christmas ale. I was thinking about all-spice, honey, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, orange peel, and candy spice. Not sure about all of them but this is my first brew that I'm experimenting with. Any suggestions?

Last year I did Austins Winter Warmer. It was awesome. I gave it away as Christmas presents. This year I did Midwest's Winter Ale. Not as much spice flavors as Austins but still a good beer. I'll go back with Austin's next year.

Back