Looking for a solid hefeweizen partial-mash recipe for my 2nd batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

Reaction score
I am trying to find a solid hefeweizen partial-mash recipe I can do as my 2nd beer, since my 1st one (power porter) is ready to go into bottles.

Since I am planning on getting a large ingredient and other stuff order from BMW, I looked around on their Brew-Builder and non of the partial-mash recipes had enough detailed directions (like how long to mash). So I want to find a solid recipe I can just build there myself with good directions.

I like deep clove flavor, but also banana arome is something I like too.

My apartment is usually at 72-75 degrees, so White Labs Hefeweizen - WLP300 might be the best candidate for yeast (that is about as far as I have gotten).

Can you direct me to a good hefeweizen recipe?

There's not much to gain with a partial mash for a hefeweizen, the dried wheat extract is usually the right proportion of pilsner/wheat malts and since it's been dried it doesn't tend to have the same extract tang you'd expect from poorly stored liquid varieties.

Most of the wheat yeasts actually do better on the cooler end, if you ferment that warm you'll have way too many esters. WLP300 is best ~60 F and WLP380 ~65 F.

The WLP380 will give you more clove in my experience.

Do you have a good extract recipe? If can get as good of an outcome with extract, I don't mind. I can partial mash saison or something else.

6-7lbs DME Wheat, which is really ~50/50 pilsner and wheat which will give you ~5% alcohol depending on brand.
Enough of a bittering hop to get you to around 12-15 IBUs, something like .5 oz of Northern Brewer or .8-1 oz of a noble hop such as Hallertau or Tettnanger added at 60 minutes.

2 packages or either WLP300 or WLP380 or an equivalent starter, fermented at 62 or 65 respectively.

Latest posts

Back