Looking to make a complex strong dark beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomasaug

Reaction score
While my two fermenters are bubbling away (an Oud Bruin and a cider), I'm planning on brewing my next beer and would like some recipe suggestions for my research. Oh, and I can only make ales (no lagers)

What I'm looking for is a dark beer that is high in alcohol (basically a sipper). Something with unrecognizable but complex flavors that come through. A beer that effectively knocks you out.

My idea begins with flavoring with raisins (purree 1 oz) and oak chips (French, 1 oz). Making a five gallon drum.

Some questions...

1) Does anyone have any experience with dark malts that do not impart a very bitter/roasted flavor that is common in many stouts/porters?

2) Any suggestions in raising the alcohol content? Was considering playing around with different yeasts (realize I would have to mess around with the fermentables if I use a wine/champagne yeast)?

3) My fermentables plans was to use Belgian Candi Sugar (3 pounds), 3 pounds o LME, and 2 pounds of dry malt extract. Is this likely enough to approach the 9-10% alcohol level?

Are there any websites/programs to use to precalculate the alcohol content (not a huge fan of beersmith.

Thanks for your help.

1) Does anyone have any experience with dark malts that do not impart a very bitter/roasted flavor that is common in many stouts/porters?

Special B!

ploppythesausage said:

Special B!

Any of the Carafa specials

I think you're looking at making a quad, aka, belgian dark strong ale. To get the alcohol you want, you'd have to add another 15-20 gravity points, which would be 2 lbs of DME, 3 of LME or 4 of grain (assuming 50% efficiency). If you use dark candy sugar and/or dark crystal malts along with the right yeast, you'll get the flavors you want.

Boost the ferment able with corn sugar if you want to dry it our otherwise use more malt. Simpsons dark crystal 75l is a great addition to any dark beer in small quantities. Gives a nice caramel addition. I agree on the carafa. Take a look at jamil's strong porter recipe for thoughts starters. I made this one and after aging it was one of those beers your pour into a brandy snifter and enjoy slowly.

Midnight wheat, debittered black, carafa special, special B, extra special malt (will add complexity), caramel 120, or you could just add sinamar.

2) Any suggestions in raising the alcohol content? Was considering playing around with different yeasts (realize I would have to mess around with the fermentables if I use a wine/champagne yeast)?

Most beer yeasts will reach at least 10%. I would suggest 2 packs of S-05 of you want a clean yeast flavor. just remember to pitch enough yeast, add nutrient in the boil, and aerate well.

3) My fermentables plans was to use Belgian Candi Sugar (3 pounds), 3 pounds o LME, and 2 pounds of dry malt extract. Is this likely enough to approach the 9-10% alcohol level?

for a 5 gallon batch, beersmith puts this at 7.3%

My advice, either work from a proven recipe or find a recipe calculator to help plan this out. beer calculus is a decent one. it will also help you figure out how much bitterness you need to balance this big beer out.

Back