Looking for an Extract Marzen recipie like Gordon Biersch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently working on German lagers including a Helles, Vienna and a Bock. If I were brewing a Maerzen extract recipe would include a partial mash looking something like this for 5.5 gallons:

6# Pilsner extract
2# Munich
.5# Crystal (.25# crystal 40, .25# crystal 90)
1-1.5 oz Hallertauer 60min
.5 oz Hallertauer 15 min

Add the Munich and crystal to 3.75 quarts of 165 degree water to obtain a 150-155 degree mash, hold for around 45 minutes. At this point it can be dumped in a colander and rinsed with 1 gallon of 170 degree water and the extract added to the runnings for the boil.

I can see taking the mini mash a step further. After the 150-155 degree rest, would bring to a boil for 30 minutes. This will give a decoction step I have yet seen covered in a partial mash. After boiling, gradually add ice to bring mash between 165-170 degrees before rinsing. Dropping the temp will avoid extracting tannins while the ph increases during the rinse. This is something I just thought of but see no reason not to do it so threw it out there.

Back