I've converted a Bud drinker (almost)!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Budweiser drinking friend tried a sample of my pale ale (with noble hops) from the secondary and he actualy liked the taste, though he said it could be a bit "Sweeter".
(Though he made a funny face from the IPA sample) :D

I thought he was a lost cause because he almost only drinks bud. I asked him what he didn't like about beer and I've figured out it's the bitterness. He only drinks bud because it's so watery tasting and has almost no bitterness.

So I'm going to go over to his house in a few days and show him how to brew!

Probably going to make him this:

Code:
Amber LME    6lbs
Demmerara   1 lb

Hallertaur     .5oz  Boil 60min
Tettanger      .5oz  Boil 60min
Saaz           .5oz  Boil 60min
Hallertaur     .5oz  last 10
Tettanger      .5oz  last 10
Saaz           .5oz  last 10
Halletaur      .25oz last 2
Tettanger      .25oz last 2
Saaz           .25oz last 2

Windsor yeast.
Est. OG 1.056
Srm 10.7
IBU 29 (Promash Rager)

I only have one pack of liquid wyeast and it's hard to find here so I'm saving that for my own AG coming up. I hope the windsor will leave a high enough FG.

Last time I used the windsor I got a much higher attenuation than I should have. FG was 1.011. I was expecting 1.015

Any oppinions on this recipe for the bitterly intollerant? :)

Milds are also a good place to start.

But do you really want some near-beer guzzleboy deciding he likes your HB?

Be careful that they don't try to bring you back into their fold. Clever commercials and cheap pricing are what that beer is built upon.

Cheesefood said:
Be careful that they don't try to bring you back into their fold. Clever commercials and cheap pricing are what that beer is built upon.

NEVER!!! :D

Actually, I'm trying to get him into homebrewing so I can drink HIS homebrew! [EvilLaugh] bwahahahaha [/EvilLaugh]

Yeah, I was thinking of a mild but with a normal alc %.

The hop schedule is close to my Noble Ale but with about a 1/3 less hops. And I thought the demerara might add some sweetness while maintaining a decent alc percentage. As long as it doesn't finish to low.

My place is tend to run about 21-23C (70-73F), so maybe that's why it my pale ale finished lower. His place is a bit cooler, as he lives in a trailer park and those things just ain't as heat efficient. Damn, it's an old double wide and I always feel like I should be wearing coveralls and buildin' a still... haha

I scored a dozen 23 liter buckets with lids form a wine ubrew place for free, so I think I'm going to do his beer in that and leave it in the bucket for 2 weeks then bottle. Not going for long term competition quality here.

I'm builing my mash/lauter tun out of one of those too. Those big buckets go in nice and handy.

PS: I lived in a trailer when I was a little kid, so I feel it's OK to make fun of them. ;)

I converted my girlfriend's parents. Her father still drinks bud, but brews his own as well. (I started them on homebrew, and then brewing).

They brew some really good american ambers, and made an awesome pale ale. They're doing Rocky Racoon's Honey Lager right now, and have already made some excellent honey ales.

PS: Homebrewer_99, I once saw a shirt with three frogs sitting around a roll of toilet paper, saying "Butt", "Wipe", and "Err" I still chuckle when I think about it.

Back