The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > I poured Brett dregs into 4 month old cyser

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
RyanK2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I poured Brett dregs into 4 month old cyser

Last night I was drinking an Ommegeddon with brett and glanced over at my carboy of aging cyser, glanced at the slurry in the bottom of my bottle and I got this idea. I brewed the cyser with 5 gallons apple juice, 7lbs honey, 1lb crystal 40L, and pitched nottinghams. Its been sitting four months. Last night I added an old booster pack from mr beer, yeast energizer, and the slurry from Ommegeddon, and sat the fermenter by my furnace. Does anyone have any idea what I've done? lol... not sure what to expect with this.

Bottled: Weihenstephan Hefe Clone, Kärcher Bock, Kölsch, Oktober Wheat, Simcoe Slam IPA, Apfelwein, Red Trappist Dubbel, Dunkleweizen, Simcoe Slam IIPA, Hoppy Hefe, Come All Ye Faithful Christmas Ale, Gingerbread Ale, Wits End Kristal Wit, Kärcher Haus Pale, Nocturia Black IPA......too many.

http://walledlakebrewing.blogspot.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 64

It may get a bit of funk (earthy, farmyard etc...) since you fed it, but no sourness. I just bottled my first funky cider, and even pitching lots of bugs at the start the funk is only moderate because apple (and honey in your case) don't have much that the primary yeast won't consume. With how high the alcohol is you may or may not get any action, Brett is alcohol tolerant, but dregs into something so strong will take time.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
RyanK2
Recipes 

Ok cool... I'll let this one sit til 2012 and check it then. I wonder how the Mr. Beer booster pack will change things, the malto-dextrine specifically.

Bottled: Weihenstephan Hefe Clone, Kärcher Bock, Kölsch, Oktober Wheat, Simcoe Slam IPA, Apfelwein, Red Trappist Dubbel, Dunkleweizen, Simcoe Slam IIPA, Hoppy Hefe, Come All Ye Faithful Christmas Ale, Gingerbread Ale, Wits End Kristal Wit, Kärcher Haus Pale, Nocturia Black IPA......too many.

http://walledlakebrewing.blogspot.com

Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
usmclar1
Recipes 

I find that pitching bugs that way is kind of hit-and-miss. Had a braggot that I did the same to and added even more lacto/brett/pedi and only a mild brett came out after spending a LONG time in fermentor.

Quick Reply