how does this IPA look? can't decide on hops sched

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
It is basicly EdWorts ipa recipe with slight different hops.

Any opinions?? Id love to hear. Ive never made an ipa and want it to have a nice hoppy aroma like stone or blind pig ipa

5 lb Light/Pale Malt Extract Syrup

3 lb X-Light Dry Malt Extract

1 lb Munich Malt

12oz Crystal 60L

Original Gravity
1.073 (1.065 to 1.076)
Final Gravity
1.020 (1.017 to 1.021)
Color
11° SRM
(Copper to Red/Lt. Brown)
hops
time oz variety form aa
60 min 1.0 oz Warrior pellet 16.0

15 min 1.0 oz Amarillo pellet 7.0

5 min 1.25 oz Amarillo pellet 7.0

Dry hop 0.5 oz Cascade pellet 6.6

Dry hop 0.5 oz Amarillo pellet 7.0

Bitterness
16.0 HBU
82.6 IBU (Uncorrected)

I also have never used nottingham but have a pack of it. What would be best; nottingham or safale -05???

As far as hops go, trying plugging in your recipe here. I get an OG of about 1.063 and 30 IBUs. Another handy tool is this chart. And about the yeast, 05 and notty seems to be pretty interchangeable around here.

i tried that beer resipe calulator and there is no warrior or amarillo hops in the menu. I find it very hard to believe that all that hops would yeild only 30 ibu's

As far as hops go, trying plugging in your recipe here. I get an OG of about 1.063 and 30 IBUs. Another handy tool is this chart. And about the yeast, 05 and notty seems to be pretty interchangeable around here.

I get S.G. of 1.065 and 78 IBU's

Is that Munich malt an extract? if not it needs to be mashed

the munich and 60l are not extract, i was going to steep them for 30 min at 170F before starting my boil. sound about right???

the munich and 60l are not extract, i was going to steep them for 30 min at 170F before starting my boil. sound about right???
Naw dude....Munich has to be mashed. It could convert itself but it will take a mash of about 60 to 90 minutes at temps in the 150's. They do sell a munich extract.

i tried that beer resipe calulator and there is no warrior or amarillo hops in the menu. I find it very hard to believe that all that hops would yeild only 30 ibu's

select any kind of hops, then later change the name and Alpha-Acid percentages. They equal 30 because you are adding a majority later, not through out, and because you have 8 lbs of malt extract to balance it. Take out the 3 lbs on the calculator and you'll see the IBU's shoot up compared to the gravity.

Back