Hops & Yeast for a German/Czech Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangeCatBrewery

Reaction score
Hello, Im going to make a German/Czech Style Beer. And I have a few questions:

1) Which Dry Ale Yeast would be better, Nottingham or Safale K-97? (I plan to rehydrate) I have never used either before and they are my only options unless I pick-up another Yeast Pack from the LHBS.

2) I have 1 oz of Saaz (czech 4.4%) and 1 oz of Perle (9.3%), I was planning to use just the 1oz of Saaz, but after running it thru BeerSmith I am wondering if I should add some or all of the Perle Hops to the Boil (60 min) or should I rearrange the Saaz into 3rd's boil/aroma/flavor or should I go to my LHBS and get another .5-1oz of Saaz?

I dont want it to be a stongly bitter beer, but I dont want it to be sweet or malty. I know the 2nd question is going in different directions but any input or personal preferences would be appreciated.

3 Gallon Boil - to make 5.25 Gallons
3# Pilsner LME 60min
3# Pilsner LME 15min
1.5# Pilsner DME 15min
.5oz Saaz 60min
.25oz Saaz 15min
.25oz Saaz Aroma
Nottingham or Safale K-97

If you want to make a German or a Czech beer you HAVE to use a German or Czech yeast. It's that simple. If you don't the beer you get won't be what you were trying for.

Your recipe and malt/hop schedule look good. ;) It looks like you thought it out. :mug:

Thanks....I try to do my research before I start firing off questions. Sounds like the K-97 will be the ticket.....what do you think about the hops? Stick with 1oz Saaz, add another .5-1oz Saaz or add .5-1oz Perle. I know this is a matter of preference. Just looking for another opinion/view/preference etc....

Thanks again

I like the kolsch or german ale liquid yeasts. You can ferment colder. You also should loager it for 3-4 weeks before bottling.

I plan on letting it sit in the primary for 3-4 weeks, but I can secondary if need be....I dont have a good place to lager. I guess I could try the wet towel/fan trick.

Thanks for the yeast tip.

worst case is you could cold condition some after they are in the bottle. The yeast do not fall out the best, so you may want to get a fining to help it clear a little more. I used knox blocks mix

Thanks for the feedback Hoosier...idea noted. How long do you estimate aging your German Ale before drinking?

Usually 3-4 weeks in a fridge, then I warm it back to about 65 and rack to a keg for 2-3 weeks to carbonate. Then I put back in the fridge for serving. I would think you could let it ferment for about 2 weeks and then use knox blocks in your primary for a few days to help it clear more and then bottle. After it is carbed, you could chill them for several weeks.

Back