Hops for smoked pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been looking at Northdown for bittering and aroma. I've never used it but it seems neutral and to have "earthy" tones which sounds perfect to me.

I use the following hop schedule for my house APA OG=1.053:

1.5 oz centennial at 60
1.25oz amarillo at 15
0.5oz amarillo at 2

For 34.8 IBU total
0.655 bitterness ratio

Well balance, not overly hopped, most likely would work well with smoked beer

I'd go 25-30 ibus for the bittering charge and late-hop lightly with something earthy/noble/spicy. Whatever you add, smoke will dominate the aroma.

I like northdown for an all purpose hop, sterling as well.
I wonder though, if you could dry homegrown hops in a smoker to further extend the smoked beer thing.
Say smoke the hops over beech and use German smoked malt- just a thought.

I use the following hop schedule for my house APA OG=1.053:

1.5 oz centennial at 60
1.25oz amarillo at 15
0.5oz amarillo at 2

For 34.8 IBU total
0.655 bitterness ratio

Well balance, not overly hopped, most likely would work well with smoked beer

Centennial dose sounds like a good fit.

My Recipe would look like this:

All-grain
Batch size 5 gallons
OG 1.043
FG 1.009
ABV 4.0%
IBUs 27.3

6 lb 2 row
1.5 Hickory smoked 2 row
.5 lb 90L crystal malt
.25 biscuit malt
.25 lb melanoiden malt
.5 lb malto-dextrine (at 60 min)

.5 oz Centennial @ 60
.5 oz Centennial @ 15

BlainD said:
Centennial dose sounds like a good fit.

My Recipe would look like this:

All-grain
Batch size 5 gallons
OG 1.043
FG 1.009
ABV 4.0%
IBUs 27.3

6 lb 2 row
1.5 Hickory smoked 2 row
.5 lb 90L crystal malt
.25 biscuit malt
.25 lb melanoiden malt
.5 lb malto-dextrine (at 60 min)

.5 oz Centennial @ 60
.5 oz Centennial @ 15

Sounds great. If you are smoking the hickory yourself, try not to let it go too hot. I use a cold smoke technique when I'm smoking my own

Sounds great. If you are smoking the hickory yourself, try not to let it go too hot. I use a cold smoke technique when I'm smoking my own

no I'm not going to get that involved. Buying from Austin Home Brew.

I'd go 25-30 ibus for the bittering charge and late-hop lightly with something earthy/noble/spicy. Whatever you add, smoke will dominate the aroma.

I want to try to keep the aroma generally low. I also don't want the smoked flavor to be too strong. I made a brew with 3# of rauch and it tasted like a glass of bacon(it wasn't as awesome as it sounds). So I'm thinking low IBUs and hop aromas so I can still get a good smoked flavor that is some what subtle. I hope.

BlainD said:
no I'm not going to get that involved. Buying from Austin Home Brew.

I want to try to keep the aroma generally low. I also don't want the smoked flavor to be too strong. I made a brew with 3# of rauch and it tasted like a glass of bacon(it wasn't as awesome as it sounds). So I'm thinking low IBUs and hop aromas so I can still get a good smoked flavor that is some what subtle. I hope.

We are currently mashing in a smoked beer as I type this. The last time we uses smoke we used it as 10% of the grain bill. No real smoke flavor till you swallowed. It was a pretty damn good beer, aroma faded really quick in the keg as well. We are upping the smoked grain to 20% to see how it turns out.

Cool. I didn't know you could get commercial Hickory smoked malt. I only knew of Beechwood and Cherry.

When you get it done, please let us know how it turned out and your final recipe

Cool. I didn't know you could get commercial Hickory smoked malt. I only knew of Beechwood and Cherry.

When you get it done, please let us know how it turned out and your final recipe

After reading this I started thinking if I had actually seen Hickory smoked 2 row so I double checked.... I was mistaken austin home brew dose not sell hickory smoked 2 row. I'll probably go with Oak instead.

There's a brewery on the east coast smoking 2-row over hickory and pork belly. I hear they make a beer that intentionally tastes like bacon-and they say it's damn good too.

Latest posts

Back