Help on kolsch recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serrano07

Reaction score
I'm just curious. I'm new to brewing and this is the first recipe I've made. I'm making a kolsch and I looked into ingredients online. So I mix some of the ingredients together to see if it will turn out right. So I'm wondering do you guys think this will be a good kolsch beer. Are there any changes I should make or leave it go and try it. Thanks for the help!!!

1397791178961.jpg

a kolsch should be a light refreshing beer. go easy on the recipe. it doesn't use all those hops; a good bittering hop will work, and that's all you need. if you want to use pilsen lme:

6-7 lbs pilsen lme
1 oz perle hops @ 60
wlp029

if you want to use the wheat extract, feel free, but no munich or sugar

Stumbled upon this post through google...

Been getting back into brewing and was gathering ingredients for a Kolsch. I've always used LME's but wondered how/where the beer would get its color from if I used DME's only? Should I steep with a grain (wheat?) prior to the boil or do DME's impart the same amount of color as their LME counterpart?

TIA

My house beer is a Kolsch.

As you'll note with different recepies, there is very little difference between a Blonde Ale and a Kolsch - the yeast is what seperated them.

For my house beer (which I've always got on Tap), the Base is Pale Malt (85% of Grain Bill), and I add Wheat Malt (10%) for golden colour and taste, Carmalized Malts (5%) for Head Retention and Mouthfeel - I use a Dextrine or Carmel, or whatever I have on-hand.

This Means that you can use DME or Extract and steep the Wheat Malt and Carmalts, to get the best of the flavours.

For Hops I never use overn an onunce (for a 5gal/19L Batch) spread into 3 or four parts every 15 minutes - I've tried different ways, and it doen't make a difference.

As for the yeast... I've used a California Ale, Kolsch and German Ale, with the best result being the Kolsch.

Happy Brewing!

Yeah, leave out the sugar and Munich malt. And just reduce the amounts of the hops. The hop varieties you chose are fine, but it is just to much. A Kolsch should have just a little bitterness and a tiny amount of hop flavor, so be careful not to overdo the hops.

Back