Hefe recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tally350z

Reaction score
So I am brewing a hefe on thursday and I will be attempting my first decoction and wanted to see what people thought about this recipe.

7# Wheat Malt
2.5# Pilsner
8oz Munich malt
8oz caramunich

1oz Hallertauer 60 Min

Wyeast 3068

Mash in at protein rest at 122. Rest for 10min. Pull mash and heat and boil for 10 minutes. Add back to main mash to raise to 154*. Let rest for 40 minutes. Then pull mash and boil for 10 minutes and add back to the mash to raise to mash-out temp. Than normal sparge and boil.

Should I not worry about the munich and caramunich since I will be doing the decoction? Just want to see what people say who have experience with decoction mashing.

I'd probably drop the caramunich. I'd keep the Munich though. I'd also recommend adding rice hulls with that much wheat. I'd toss in a couple handfuls right before you take the first rubbings and stir it up to distribute. Make sure you account for the additional water absorption from them or your volume will be off.

Yea I do have about 8oz of hulls I am going to add, I just didn't include them in the recipe list for some reason.

Is beersmith inaccurate when it comes to decoction mashing? I took out the caramunich and it dropped the srm to 4.2. I know I will pickup some color because of the decoction, just want to know if the color will be closer to 6-8 range..

4.2 SRM would be right about where I would be shooting for. The style guidelines call for 2-8 SRM. You'll probably pick up 1 or 1.5 SRM with the decoction.

My biggest complaint with Beersmith's decoction schedules is that I'm always low on my last decoction because the main mash has cooled down so much. I use a cooler MLT. I've just started doing a mash-out kind of decoction personally instead of the full triple or double. I pull out about 2 gallons worth of the thick mash at about 30 mins in to the mash and boil it for about 20 mins. It gets some of that decocted flavor without the chance to miss so many temperatures.

So that was a semi failed attempt on my first decoction. I was following beersmith and when I pulled the mash and boiled it, it didn't raise the temp enough when I added it back to the main mash. Even on the second decoction I pulled more than it said and I still missed my temp. I was off by about 10*, was supposed to hit a mash of 152*, but could only get too 142*. Next time I guess I will have to pull even more than beersmith says.

Latest posts

Back