Heady Topper Extract Clone Opinion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan_bowman

Reaction score
First off, sorry if this has been discussed before. I have found two extract kits (in stock) and wanted to know if anyone has brewed these before and/or your opinions.

Keystone Homebrew. This is the more expensive kit. It has ingredients and process on the site. Comes out to 11 oz of hops (including dry hops) and appears to be a newer recipe (stated it was in an October 2013 magazine). Site shows 0 reviews.
http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/shop/heady-topper-beer-ingredient-kit.html

Malotse Express. Less expensive. Less hops (states 9 oz of hops). Recipe created in 2012. Site does not show ingredients or process and 0 reviews.
http://www.maltosecart.com/india-pale-ale-recipes/heady-topper-clone/

Both kits are some of the most expensive extract kits I have seen as well.

It's the most expensive All Grain beer I've brewed as well, over $100 for a 12 gallon batch.

The kits won't really do the beer justice since you can't find Pearl malt extract. Maris Otter is similar and there are some extracts available for that.

The kits also don't have the Conan yeast (available elsewhere). The first one you listed uses Notty. I'm sure it will make an awesome double IPA, but it won't be Heady Topper. Maybe build your own kit from an extract version that's on this site somewhere? Kits are convenient, but you pay for it sometimes.

It's the most expensive All Grain beer I've brewed as well, over $100 for a 12 gallon batch.

The kits won't really do the beer justice since you can't find Pearl malt extract. Maris Otter is similar and there are some extracts available for that.

The kits also don't have the Conan yeast (available elsewhere). The first one you listed uses Notty. I'm sure it will make an awesome double IPA, but it won't be Heady Topper. Maybe build your own kit from an extract version that's on this site somewhere? Kits are convenient, but you pay for it sometimes.

My brewing buddy found a HT clone kit on Austin Homebrew and we have that ordered. Also bought some nottingham yeast. Excited to give it a shot but not expecting it to be Heady Topper.

Latest posts

Back