Ginger Root Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoore77

Reaction score
So I've never used ginger while brewing and I have a question...The recipe I have calls for 1oz of dried ginger so my question is if I use fresh ginger should I still shred off 1oz or should I use more...what is a good conversion ratio between fresh and dried. I also have ground ginger spice but I feel that will be too powerful

Thanks for the help

I've found fresh spices to be pretty unpredictable. What I think works best is to add a small amount to the boil. Then, once fermentation is complete, add some more to the fermenter. Sample it every day and then pull it once you get to the flavor level you want.

You'll see dried ginger in powder form in the spice aisle in any grocery store, but absolutely use fresh. The flavor is deeper and sweeter in my cooking experience, though I've not brewed a beer with it yet. You'll definitely need more fresh than dried. For cooking, I've seen anywhere from 1:4 to 1:8 substitutions. I agree with Billl's methodology, though, so you don't overdo it.

You'll see dried ginger in powder form in the spice aisle in any grocery store, but absolutely use fresh. The flavor is deeper and sweeter in my cooking experience, though I've not brewed a beer with it yet. You'll definitely need more fresh than dried. For cooking, I've seen anywhere from 1:4 to 1:8 substitutions. I agree with Billl's methodology, though, so you don't overdo it.

Having tried both with the same recipe, I couldn't agree more. Definitely use fresh, and you'll definitely need more than 1oz.

Powered/dry ginger is gross by comparison and I've had trouble getting it to dissolve.

If you do use fresh ginger, you'll need to slice it up (I peel first), add it to a pot of water, bring to a boil, then simmer for about half an hour.

I like a strong ginger burn (when I say strong, I mean it! I make 14% abv ginger wine and you can taste the ginger more than the alcohol) and use about 9-11 oz per gallon of end product.

If you like ginger but you're not obsessed with it like I am, you'll probably want like 3-4oz fresh per gallon if you want the ginger to be noticeable but not burn.

I've heard it's good to freeze it and thaw it before you boil it to get more flavor. I haven't tried it but you might give it a shot.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't worry about overdoing the ginger. Worst case scenario, add more water to dilute it and dump a little excess out. Or save it for something else.

how much ginger depends on your tastes...

Not to dissuade you from earlier recommendations, but for my brews, 3 oz of fresh peeled, sliced ginger root in the end of the boil (15 mins), gives a nice ginger flavor (5 gal batch). Some like more. Some like less.

If you like ginger a lot, go for more ... 6 oz or more. If you just want a hint, go a bit less.

Good luck,
--LexusChris

Just made a blonde ale using 4 oz fresh peeled ginger @ 15 min. Waiting to see if I want to add more to secondary. Also used 2 oz with 2lb honey in 1 gal batch. Both are still in primary. My first try with ginger so wanted to try a couple of different ways. Good luck with your brews.

Just made a blonde ale using 4 oz fresh peeled ginger @ 15 min. Waiting to see if I want to add more to secondary. Also used 2 oz with 2lb honey in 1 gal batch. Both are still in primary. My first try with ginger so wanted to try a couple of different ways. Good luck with your brews.

Please post up results
That is what i am going to get into brewing for

Honey ginger ale will be the first batch eventually

Ginger blonde in the keg! Ginger flavor and aroma are great. Not perfect yet but definitely going to remake and perfect recipe! Maybe a little more sweetness and higher abv!

Right now we're at about 2# of (fresh) ginger for a 10 gal batch. However we're not yet dry-hopping, which I understand should give us a good bit more punch. That's in a modestly-hopped pale ale recipe.

Now we're doing some small (5g) batches of straight-up ginger ale - less hops, no chili peppers, and sweeter - to play with the ginger addition, try to get it down in mass (and price) while maintaining a good ginger kick.

For reference - we like a LOT of spicy ginger. Stewart's or Blenheim are good examples - enough to give you the hiccups, just about. :D

One clear indication we've found is the longer you boil that ginger, the smoother, more mellow/subtle, and less spicy it gets. So of course totally not what we want. ;)

Latest posts

Back